No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ERANGE and other packages for RNAseq analysis

Hi everyone,

I am currently exploring the ERANGE package and was wondering whether there are other available packages like this to identify new regions and calculate statistics based on read counts.

Secondly, can this be applied to sequencing technologies other than Illumina? I havent recieved a reply from the authors so I figured I would ask the forum I was thinking of using SOLiD data which is roughly the same length as the illumina reads. Out of interest has anyone tried to use the package with other technologies?

Can you be a little more specific about what you want to do with RNA-Seq? There are a couple of software packages that are available, depending on what your interests are.

Comment

Originally posted by rs705 View Post
      Can you be a little more specific about what you want to do with RNA-Seq? There are a couple of software packages that are available, depending on what your interests are.
      At the moment I'm just checking out whats available so I'd be interested in any packages that process RNA data. I'm looking for a package that attributes reads to a gene then calculates statistics like RPKM for the gene and uses read clustering to identify novel exons etc. Like I said, I'm more interested in knowing what is available for RNAseq than the specific function.

Comment

ERANGE for non-Illumina data

Hi Warren,

I'm sorry if I didn't get back to you by email!

I certainly don't have any explicit support for SOLiD colorspace; since we only have Illumina sequencers at Caltech, I don't even have the data and tools to support it even if I wished.

But, assuming that you could dump the reads out of colorspace into fasta/fastq, then you should be able to map the reads against a reference genome (or reference+splice junction, aka an "expanded genome") using bowtie and then proceed with the rest of ERANGE !

There are several other packages out there that are just starting to appear. TopHat is another one that has support for RPKM, etc.... As far as I know, it also needs a reference genome & start from fasta/fastq.

Ali

Comment

Originally posted by alim View Post
          Hi Warren,

I'm sorry if I didn't get back to you by email!

I certainly don't have any explicit support for SOLiD colorspace; since we only have Illumina sequencers at Caltech, I don't even have the data and tools to support it even if I wished.

But, assuming that you could dump the reads out of colorspace into fasta/fastq, then you should be able to map the reads against a reference genome (or reference+splice junction, aka an "expanded genome") using bowtie and then proceed with the rest of ERANGE !

There are several other packages out there that are just starting to appear. TopHat is another one that has support for RPKM, etc.... As far as I know, it also needs a reference genome & start from fasta/fastq.

Ali
          Hi Ali,

Thanks for the response. I have checked out TopHat which also looks like quite an interesting package. I was wondering as well about using something like 454 with ERANGE since the read lengths vary can it still be used with the ERANGE package? I am specifically concerned about the creation of splice-reads and what value to select for the splice radius, if you have any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Warren,

ERANGE currently assumes a fixed read length & isn't particularly mixed read-length friendly. It's a topic that's been on my mind a lot lately and I plan on fixing it.

Some of these problems relate to read-length in a direct way.

When reads are less than 32bp long, few enough reads cross-splices that we need the splice-junctions explicitly in order to recover the known splices (notice that the TopHat developers are very happy to recover 80% of the known splices that ERANGE sees) and de novo splice discovery has a very high false-positive rate.

As reads get in the 40-75 bp range, you can now map novel splices with some good confidence.

But as reads get longer, an increasing fraction of reads cross more than one splice.... one of the upcoming versions of ERANGE will deal with that.

If your reads are long enough, then ERANGE now supports a splice-junction free way of mapping splices (which is described in the ERANGE README.build-rds help file). Essentially, just map the reads on the regular genome with bowtie, explicitly saving the unmapped reads in a separate file. Then map those reads with blat (yes, it's slow) and only import those that map well onto the genome & that have an intron.

Ali

Comment

RPKM-normalization

Please, how do to normalize the data from SOLiD? I'll do differential expression. RPKM is the standardization? What does that mean exactly
              thanks

Comment

Solid is currently only supported through bowtie's (0.12.X) support for colorspace
                Maintainer of ERANGE and Cistematic
                Software Engineer, Division of Biology
                California Institute of Technology

Comment

miRanalyzer standalone download

Hi,

I am trying to install miRanalyzer stand alone version. I have built the database and managed to download all required tools and packages. When I tried to run it with the test data provided, I get this message: "Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from miRanalyzer.jar
                  ". Just wondering what I am doing wrong

Comment

HI All
                    How can I normalize differential Expression (log2) values from Cuffdiffs. I dont have replicate and am not good in unix based systems

Comment

data science training in bangalore

Data Science program designed exclusively for freshers and early career professionals. 150+ participating companies for placement with 15.6 LPA Highest CTC & 85% Avg Salary Hike. 85% Average Salary Hike. Online Lab Sessions. Placement Assistance. Capstone Project.
                      Get 100% JOB Oriented Data Science Training ✔️By Experts ⭐Interview Skills ✔️Placements ▷Live Project ✔️Hands-On Practical ⭐Certification Guaranteed ✔️Free Demo.
                      https://www.acte.in/data-science-training-in-bangalore

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses