No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhiteSeal
    replied
    I work with the illumina TruSeq DNA kit (with gDNA to start with) and I have seen the double peaks (in all variations) a lot. Have done lots of samples on the HiSeq and some on the MiSeq as well, but never had any problems sequencing.

Leave a comment:

• AndyG
    replied
    Anybody have any ideas?

I have seen some people with the same problem on this forum but never a solution.

Has anyone sequenced libraries with these double humps within the main library peak?

Leave a comment:

• AndyG
    replied
    Originally posted by ZWB View Post
    In my experience, the double hump is the result of over amplification during your final PCR step. I would try 12 cycles instead of 14 and see if that gets rid of the second hump.
    Originally posted by microgirl123 View Post
    The double peak is often a "bubble peak," which is often seen when you do lots of rounds of PCR. Basically, two strands of DNA have annealed that don't match in the middle so they bubble out and run strangely on the Bioanalyzer chip. It's not a problem for Illumina instruments (I don't know about others) because your DNA is denatured before loading.

Thanks guys, I just updated my first post with a little bit more information to clarify things.

Leave a comment:

• microgirl123
    replied
    The double peak is often a "bubble peak," which is often seen when you do lots of rounds of PCR. Basically, two strands of DNA have annealed that don't match in the middle so they bubble out and run strangely on the Bioanalyzer chip. It's not a problem for Illumina instruments (I don't know about others) because your DNA is denatured before loading.

Leave a comment:

• ZWB
    replied
    In my experience, the double hump is the result of over amplification during your final PCR step. I would try 12 cycles instead of 14 and see if that gets rid of the second hump.

Leave a comment:

• Twin peaks, double peaks, double humps of RNA Seq, it’s all very frustrating...HELP!

Method:

Wang et al. 2011, A low-cost library construction protocol for Illumina-based strand-specific multiplex rna-seq. PLoS One 6(10) e26426. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0026426

Basics steps:

Extract Total RNA
    Extract mRNA
    Fragment
    1st strand synthesis
    2nd strand synthesis
    End repair
    dA-Tail
    Ligate adaptors
    Size select
    Excise dUTP
    Amplify
    Bioanalyze with DNA HS Chip

Problem:

Bioanalysis with a DNA HS Chip, reveals a double hump in every library product.

Notes:

Libraries are individual i.e. not yet pooled.
    Yes Library 11 has a ~126bp adaptor dimer (already fixed).
    100ng mRNA input
    Qubit after cDNA synthesis (2nd strand) yields on average 8-10ng total
    Qubit after final library completion, anything from 8-30ng total from 14 cycles.
    Amplification step is definitely working (trace not shown).
    I made many more libraries with this method and the double humps just keep on coming.

Questions:
    1. What is happening here, any theories?
    2. How do I fix this?

EDIT - 26 Nov 13

Guys I don't believe the double hump problems are related to the following examples:

PCR artifacts are normally twice the expected library size as shown in the image above. Since my libraries are between 200-500bp which is exactly the expected size I don't believe my results are PCR artifact related, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Notice in my samples the double humps are within the main library peak and not two separate peaks.

There is definitely no indication of bead carry over in my traces.

Things I have tried but made no difference:
    • Denaturing the libraries multiple different ways to prevent bird nesting or this so called “bubble effect” as suggested in other posts
    • I have tried re-amplifying my libraries for another 2 more cycles as suggest in other posts
    • Tried 12x, 13x, 14x, 15x, 16x, 17x cycles.
    Last edited by AndyG; 11-25-2013, 06:45 PM. Reason: More information added

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses