No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using ethanol as a preservation method for shotgun sequencing

Hi all,

Basically I am collecting fecal samples from all types of animals. Insects, fish, reptiles amphibians etc and ideally I would freeze all of these samples but ethanol would be way more practical as I will be in the Amazon. I was wondering if anyone knew about the efficacy of preserving DNA in ethanol for both amplicon sequencing (16S) and metagenomics (shotgun). Also, if the sample "dissolves" in ethanol (like a loose stool that disintegrates), can you simply evaporate the ethanol to isolate the DNA? Any info or a point to a paper or forum would be appreciated!

If not I will resort to freezing the samples in a -20 freezer and then shipping them on ice in what will likely be a 24hr trip back to the states.

Hello samd199

I know I've worked with people in the past that stored fecal samples in ethanol. I don't recall what the concentration was and how long they were left in the ethanol, but I know it worked.

Also, the paper below describes testing out different methods for fecal storage and it says that ethanol worked for them.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSystems.00021-16

I think there are some commercial options as well, but I haven't done any storage or sequencing of fecal samples so I couldn't recommend anything.

If you don't have the proper concentration of ethanol. This paper (below) mentions that they used a -20 freezer and it worked similar to storage in a -80 freezer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7953882/

Best of luck!

Comment

thank you Ben3 . I have seen these papers but I believe they are both for 16S. I wonder if they uphold for metagenomics. If no one knows, this would be a very interesting methods paper to do.
      Thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        A Brief Overview and Common Challenges in Single-cell Sequencing Analysis
        by seqadmin

​​​​​​The introduction of single-cell sequencing has advanced the ability to study cell-to-cell heterogeneity. Its use has improved our understanding of somatic mutations1, cell lineages2, cellular diversity and regulation3, and development in multicellular organisms4. Single-cell sequencing encompasses hundreds of techniques with different approaches to studying the genomes, transcriptomes, epigenomes, and other omics of individual cells. The analysis of single-cell sequencing data i...

01-24-2023, 01:19 PM
      • seqadmin
        Introduction to Single-Cell Sequencing
        by seqadmin
        Single-cell sequencing is a technique used to investigate the genome, transcriptome, epigenome, and other omics of individual cells using high-throughput sequencing. This technology has provided many scientific breakthroughs and continues to be applied across many fields, including microbiology, oncology, immunology, neurobiology, precision medicine, and stem cell research.

The advancement of single-cell sequencing began in 2009 when Tang et al. investigated the single-cell transcriptomes
        01-09-2023, 03:10 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse
      Working...
      X