Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by masterpiece View Post
    "So tell me, which one gives the best result and explain me why (answer not more than 50 words and use only layman term)?"
    Haha, this might have been the best thing I've seen on SeqAnswers.

There's also DEXSeq, which does splicing, so at least you can have some consistency in your method. Whatever you do, don't stick with 1.4, as even the authors will tell you, that version was not good.

One thing you mentioned about lab work, I'm assuming you mean qPCR. How do you handle it with fold changes less than 2? I get many genes that DESeq says are differentially expressed, and the fold change might be as low as 1.25, and no one in my lab seems to think I can validate that with qPCR.

Comment

Originally posted by billstevens View Post

One thing you mentioned about lab work, I'm assuming you mean qPCR. How do you handle it with fold changes less than 2? I get many genes that DESeq says are differentially expressed, and the fold change might be as low as 1.25, and no one in my lab seems to think I can validate that with qPCR.
      May I know do you have replicates in your analysis. Without replicates, the statistics shown will not be strong enough to support your results.

Normally in my case, apart from using p-value or FDR to get a list of differently expressed genes, I'll also include in log2foldchange set at +/-2. Maybe you should try include log2foldchange and see how many differently expressed genes left.

Comment

Yes, I definitely have replicates.

If I only kept log2foldchange set at 2, I would lose the majority of my genes, and DESeq becomes much less powerful.

I guess the fundamental question I'm asking here is, if you can't do it verify via qPCR, should you call the gene differentially expressed. And if so, then the "power" of all of these software programs is kinda useless.

Comment

billstevens

Unfortunately I don't think I can help you on this. My task is generating results from sequence reads, run the statistics analysis. Later i pass them to other person in our lab for validation test through qPCR. I my self don't have any experience running the test. And I'm not sure if genes with fold change as low as 1.25 can be validated through qPCR.

As in our case we set p-val = 0.05 and log2foldchange =+/-2 for the genes to be differently express, so we don't face the problem that you have mentioned.

Comment

Hi guys,
            After reading through the discussion above I am realizing that I should also try DESeq. I have two multi-replicate samples and ran cuffdiff on them. Cuffdiff produces a read count files in output that has three types of read counts (actual, internally adjusted andexternlly adjusted) for each transcript in each replicate. Which one should I use for DESeq?

Comment

vinay052003,

As far I know, you can't use cuffdiff output to be used in DEseq run. You have to start from bam files generated by tophat and run through Htseq-count and DEseq

tophat -> Htseq-count -> DEseq

For more details on how to run the DEseq you can refer threads below and others in seqanswer

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc
              Last edited by masterpiece; 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Cufflinks/cuffdiff, etc. outputs garbage - don't trust it - don't use it. I have spent a considerable amount of time checking outputs against the raw alignment files and the number and magnitude of errors is quite astounding. Use HTseq-count and DEseq instead.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses