No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter mpileup for high depth of coverage without bcftools/vcfutils

Hi

I am working with Illumina paired end read data, several populations. I am creating an mpileup from several .bam files, each from a different population. I would like to exclude candidate snp's where coverage in ANY one of the populations is ABOVE a read depth threshold.

To start, focusing on one scaffold, and just two of the populations, I would use

samtools mpileup -r scaffold_1 -D B1.20.bam D8.20.bam > s1B1D8.mpileup

Typically, I think one would now use the pipeline of mpileup and bcftools/vcfutils.pl setting -D, as in vcfutils.pl varFilter -D 2000.

However, I need to retain an mpileup file.

I can use the -D option in mpileup to retain a column with some measure of the depth. However, it is not clear to me what it is with several samples, as it does not match exactly the minimum or average for the bam files included, and seems to only return a single value even with more than one bam.

Any ideas, suggestions and insight would be most appreciated.
    Andrew

Perhaps a solution myself

# generate mpilup, say with two bams

samtools mpileup -B a.bam b.bam > out.mpileup

# Then use awk to filter on the depth of coverage columns (i.e. $4 and $7 for two bams)
    # i.e. with a depth of 100 max in any depth column

awk '$4 <= 100 && $7 <= 100' out.mpileup > sifted.mpileup

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses