• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTS Mappers!

Anyone vounteer to update the wiki ;-)

http://wwwdev.ebi.ac.uk/fg/hts_mappers/
    http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bts605

Motivation: A ubiquitous and fundamental step in high-throughput sequencing analysis is the alignment (mapping) of the generated reads to a reference sequence. To accomplish this task numerous software tools have been proposed. Determining the mappers that are most suitable for a specific application is not trivial.

Results: This survey focuses on classifying mappers through a wide number of characteristics. The goal is to allow practitioners to compare the mappers more easily and find those that are most suitable for their specific problem.

Availability: A regularly updated compendium of mappers can be found at http://wwwdev.ebi.ac.uk/fg/hts_mappe...g/hts_mappers/.

Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

A comparison of accuracy would have been nice...

Comment

I was thinking to organize a 'mapathon' on the wiki.... how would you recommend benchmarking accuracy?

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
        I was thinking to organize a 'mapathon' on the wiki.... how would you recommend benchmarking accuracy?
        That would be AWESOME! I think we should query SEQanswers folks and vote on a number of metrics... this would be fun group project...

Comment

Cool! It shouldn't be too hard either, but we need to have clear guidelines about what to measure and how, so that results are comparable across mappers. The only other thing we need is a dataset and a place to host it...

Comment

I'd recommend using % reads mapped and the # of reads mapped uniquely as part of the evaluation, and keep in mind that the # of known heterozygotes is a measure of sensitivity, NOT accuracy. My two cents.

Comment

Should we generate data so we have a 'gold standard'? Or just work with metrics based on consistency, speed, and coverage?

Comment

Are you talking about simulated or real?

Comment

Simulated reads from real genomes.

We could simulate a range of 'noise' across a series of error models and produce reads characteristic of a variety of technologies... there must be software to do this already right?

Comment

There is and we have these datasets already. I would be happy to share. We did a number of tests with this dataset for a manuscript we are sending out.

Comment

Fabulous! Please link to the datasets, and I'll try to put wheels in motion via the wiki :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X