Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Repeatmask sequence files >100kb

I'd like to find out the repeat content (LINES, SINES, LTR-retrotransposons etc) of my Illumina HiSeq sequence Bam files.

Repeatmasker's online search takes only up to 100kb of sequence and running a local version requires command-line skills (I'm not a bioinformatician).

Does anyone know of a way to do this without command-line skills?

Cheers,
    Neil

I would encourage you to try the command line version because you will have a lot more flexibility and the commands are quite easy. In the simplest case:
    Code:
    RepeatMasker seqs.fas
    Using a custom library for masking is simple as saying "-lib file_of_repeats.fas" and specifying a single species to use for masking is also possible by saying "-species human" to mask human repeats, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilyoungson View Post
      I'd like to find out the repeat content (LINES, SINES, LTR-retrotransposons etc) of my Illumina HiSeq sequence Bam files.

Repeatmasker's online search takes only up to 100kb of sequence and running a local version requires command-line skills (I'm not a bioinformatician).

Does anyone know of a way to do this without command-line skills?

Cheers,
      Neil
      This is where you call upon a friend who has the necessary skills, if you truly do not wish to do it on your own.

Like SES said this would be simple to do on the command line .. provided you had access to the necessary resources/time to pick up some basic unix skills.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        it seems that I've reached that crossroads, and it is now time to learn some unix.
        Wish me luck.
        Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Neilyoungson View Post
          Thanks guys,
          it seems that I've reached that crossroads, and it is now time to learn some unix.
          Wish me luck.
          Neil
          That's the spirit.

Start here: http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/unix_and_Perl/

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            That's the spirit.

Start here: http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/unix_and_Perl/
            Very nice! I was about to post the same link but you beat me to it.

Note that this is also now a published book you can get on Amazon, or any other bookstore I'm sure.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM
            • seqadmin
              Multiomics Techniques Advancing Disease Research
              by seqadmin

New and advanced multiomics tools and technologies have opened new avenues of research and markedly enhanced various disciplines such as disease research and precision medicine1. The practice of merging diverse data from various ‘omes increasingly provides a more holistic understanding of biological systems. As Maddison Masaeli, Co-Founder and CEO at Deepcell, aptly noted, “You can't explain biology in its complex form with one modality.”

A major leap in the field has
              02-08-2024, 06:33 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:12 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 02-23-2024, 04:11 PM