Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEXSeq for multi-factor design

I am using DEXSeq for testing differential exon usage between two conditions: control and treatment. For each condition, I have 8 biological replicates (C1-C8, and T1-T8). The design is listed below.

condition subject
    C1 control 1
    C2 control 2
    C3 control 3
    C4 control 4
    C5 control 5
    C6 control 6
    C7 control 7
    C8 control 8
    T1 treatment 1
    T2 treatment 2
    T3 treatment 3
    T4 treatment 4
    T5 treatment 5
    T6 treatment 6
    T7 treatment 7
    T8 treatment 8

As you can see from the last column, we have 8 subjects involved in the experiment. Subject 1 has both the control and the treatment, and so on for all the other subjects. This is different from the situation discussed in the DEXSeq vignette here, for example:

design(pasillaExons)

gives:

condition type
    treated1fb treated single-read
    treated2fb treated paired-end
    treated3fb treated paired-end
    untreated1fb untreated single-read
    untreated2fb untreated single-read
    untreated3fb untreated paired-end
    untreated4fb untreated paired-end

I think in the pasilla example, the biological replicates are all different. Thus in my situation, in order to see if there is differential exon usage between the treatment and control, can I do:

(1) ignore the fact that each subject had both control and treatment? In this case, in my implementation, shall I write:

f_dispersion = count ~ sample + condition * exon
    pExons = estimateDispersions(pExons, formula=f_dispersion)
    pExons = fitDispersionFunction(pExons)
    Null model: f_0 = count ~ sample + condition
    Alternative model: f_1 = count ~ sample + condition * I(exon == exonID)
    pExons = testForDEU(pExons, formula0 = f_0, formula1 = f_1)

(2) incorporate the subject as a corvariate (coded that column as a factor), and then analyze in the GLM framework? In this case, in my implementation, shall I write:

f_dispersion = count ~ sample + (condition + subject) * exon
    Null model: f_0 = count ~ sample + subject * exon + condition
    Alternative model: f_1 = count ~ sample + subject * exon + condition * I(exon == exonID)

(3) I am not sure if including subject as a corvariate is the best approach in my situation. Are there any other options that I can consider?

(4) I write the formula for null and alternative models exactly according to the vignette, but I am not sure if they are what I should put in R implementation.

Thank you so much ;-)
    Last edited by alittleboy; 06-26-2013, 05:16 PM.

You'll want option (2). This happened to be recently discussed on the bioconductor email list, so have a look at that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      You'll want option (2). This happened to be recently discussed on the bioconductor email list, so have a look at that thread.
      Hi @dpryan:

That's a really relevant post, and it's convenient to include the subject effect in the GLM setting ;-)

Can I know if, according to my design matrix above, the following formula are correct?

f_dispersion = count ~ sample + (condition + subject) * exon
      Null model: f_0 = count ~ sample + subject * exon + condition
      Alternative model: f_1 = count ~ sample + subject * exon + condition * I(exon == exonID)

Thanks!

Comment

By my understanding, yes. Hopefully someone else will jump in if my understanding is wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          By my understanding, yes. Hopefully someone else will jump in if my understanding is wrong!
          Hi @dpryan:

According to this post (pretty recent!): the formula I wrote should be correct for the dispersion and testDEU ;-)

Thanks!

Comment

Confirmation is always good

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses