No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with script, sort by coverage

Hello everyone,

I am not good with with writing optimal scripts, so I would appreciate someones help, either perl or python is fine.

I have contigs generated by assemblers in the following format:
    NODE_2361_length_509_cov_1.43018_ID_745236

This is common to velvet and SPAdes. I was wondering how could I extract all contig names that in their name have a coverage above a user specified value. So I could perl selectAboveCoverage.pl 1.0 and get all above 1.0 including 1.0?

I know I have to first split by >, and then the index 0 will be contig name and index 1 will be the sequence. I need to further split index 0 by _, and index 5 will have the coverage value. I can then somehow sort by that and pick all of those above argv[0], and write them to a new file argv[1].

I know this from experience in TCL, but scripts on those languages take too long to execute.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you!

How about

Code:
    awk '{FS="_"; if($6>=1) print}' file
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
      How about

Code:
      awk '{FS="_"; if($6>=1) print}' file

You sir, are awesome.

Comment

How would I use a similar script to sort the contigs by lengths, and tell me what the top 10 or 20 lengths are?

Comment

Could try adding to the above:

Code:
          sort -r -n file | head
          In short:

Code:
          sort -r -n file
          sorts the contents of file, -r to use reverse order (highest to lowest), and -n uses numeric sort. Otherwise you get 1, 10, 100, 2, 20, 200, 3, 30, 300.

head just displays the top 10 of the file, or stdout (lest it dump a pile of numbers into stdout). To adjust the number of lines displayed, use -n. For example,
          Code:
          head -n 20
          displays the first 20 lines of a file.

Comment

Sorry but the above shows contig names, how will sort know what to sort by? Since it's given the full length of the contig?

Comment

Oh, whoops.

Contents of file I wish to process
              Code:
              NODE_2361_length_509_cov_1.43018_ID_745236
              NODE_2361_length_509_cov_5.43018_ID_745236
              NODE_2361_length_509_cov_3.43018_ID_745236
              NODE_2361_length_509_cov_2.43018_ID_745236
              NODE_2361_length_509_cov_21.43018_ID_745236
              The one-liner
              Code:
              sed 's/_/ /g' filename | awk '{FS=" "; print $6}' | sort -r -n | head -n 10
              sed will replace _ with space, then spit out the output to stdout. | to pipe to awk.

awk will use spaces to separate columns, print $6 instructs awk to display everything from column six (which is the numbers after cov, but before ID).
              You can then pipe that again to sort, with head to display just what you want to display.

The output
              Code:
              Obviously not the only solution, and there are probably better ones.

--------------
              Edit: If you're dealing with fasta you will have to separate the headers from the sequences. Standard format is >NODE_...; which can be captured as
              Code:
              grep "^>NODE" contigs.fasta > contignames
              Last edited by winsettz; 10-07-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I would just pipe the awk output to:

Code:
                sort -r -g -k 4 -t _
                When you have an idea what tool might work, but don't know exactly how, just google "man sort" or whatever the name of the tool happens to be. Also, with sort, it's sometimes better to use -g (general numerical value) instead of -n. For example, -n (string numerical value) doesn't work when you have exponents (1e-10 would be smaller than 2e-100 so e.g. sorting blast output by e-value would fail). Actually, I don't know if there's any reason why -g shouldn't be used always by default..
                Last edited by rhinoceros; 10-07-2013, 08:46 AM.
                savetherhino.org

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses