Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question related to analysis using DESeq2

Hi All,

I have expression data for a mutant where a drug is injected over time with increasing dosage (no replicates and no drug was injected at time 0). I would like to identify genes that change in expression significantly over time. I used the following design in DEseq2 where time is assumed to be a continuous variable.

ddsp <- DESeqDataSet(dds, ~ time)
    ddsp <- DESeq(ddsp, test="LRT", reduced = ~ 1)
    resp <- results(ddsp)

is this the correct design? since I have only one mutant, are there other possible ways to answer the same question?

If time is a numeric vector:

class(dds$time)

then this will find genes which have linear relationship between log counts and time.

(note to other people reading the thread: if you have replicates, it's preferable to include time as a factor, such that each time point gets its own parameter in the model)

If you have more than 3 time points, you can include a quadratic term, which will also find genes which have up-down or down-up patterns in addition to linear relationships. That would look like a design of ~ time + I(time^2) and reduced design ~ 1.

Comment

Thanks Michael ,

To follow up on my original post, I am trying to compare the results between DESeq and DESeq 2 and found the output was very different (correlation=0.59), is that expected? I have read other posts and learned that we expect more genes to be differentially expressed using DESeq2 compared to DESeq which is what I got. The code for DESeq follows

### using DESeq ##############
      cds = newCountDataSet(data, expdesign)
      cds <- estimateSizeFactors( cds )
      sizeFactors( cds )
      cds = estimateDispersions( cds, method="blind", sharingMode="fit-only" )
      fit1 <- fitNbinomGLMs( cds, count ~ time )
      fit0 <- fitNbinomGLMs( cds, count ~ 1 )
      res<-nbinomGLMTest( fit1, fit0 )

Comment

question related to analysis using DESeq2

Hi,

when using the following design to test for differentila expression

ddsTC <- DESeqDataSet(dds, ~ time)
        ddsTC <- DESeq(ddsTC, test="LRT", reduced = ~ 1)
        resTC <- results(ddsTC)

How to interprest the log2foldchange in the results file?
        I find most of the genes with significant pvalues have a very low log2fold change.

thanks

Originally posted by Michael Love View Post
        If time is a numeric vector:

class(dds$time)

then this will find genes which have linear relationship between log counts and time.

(note to other people reading the thread: if you have replicates, it's preferable to include time as a factor, such that each time point gets its own parameter in the model)

If you have more than 3 time points, you can include a quadratic term, which will also find genes which have up-down or down-up patterns in addition to linear relationships. That would look like a design of ~ time + I(time^2) and reduced design ~ 1.

Comment

Read the section on the likelihood ratio test in the help pages:

?results

Comment

Thanks Michael for your help
            I have one more question , do I need to perform a between-sample normalization before using the following design ?

ddsTC <- DESeqDataSet(dds, ~ time)
            ddsTC <- DESeq(ddsTC, test="LRT", reduced = ~ 1)
            resTC <- results(ddsTC)

thanks

Comment

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Comment

the 'DESeq' function does normalization internally

Comment

Working...
                X