No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing duplicate reads from multigig .csfasta

Hi all.

I'm trying to do a de novo transcriptome assembly using ABI SOLiD data. I'm trying to use Velvet/Oases at the moment, and I've found that PCR duplicates seem to be a serious problem during the postprocessing step when the double-encoded contigs are converted back into colour-space reads prior to the final assembly. This step takes at least 72 hours, which is an order of magnitude greater than the time required by the Velvet/Oases assemblers themselves. The postprocessing output file just keeps swelling in size because there are so many PCR duplicates.

So the question is: is there an efficient program out there I can use to remove duplicate reads from my .csfasta (and preferably the corresponding _QV.qual) file prior to assembly? I know there's an option to do this filtering on the SOLiD machine itself, but the person who did the sequencing didn't enable it.

Thanks.

I don't think there is anything like that out there. You need alignments to detect duplicates.
    About the SOLiD instrument filtering, perhaps you are talking about dropping reads with low quality?
    -drd

Comment

Originally posted by drio View Post
      I don't think there is anything like that out there. You need alignments to detect duplicates.
      About the SOLiD instrument filtering, perhaps you are talking about dropping reads with low quality?
      I don't think I need alignments, as I'm talking about identical ~reads~. Removing these duplicates can be performed by Corona prior to data output using the --noduplicates option. However, I can't find an equivalent for data that has already been outputted by the SOLiD system.

There are multiple programs available for filtering out low-quality reads. That's not what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Bueller_007 View Post
        I don't think I need alignments, as I'm talking about identical ~reads~. Removing these duplicates can be performed by Corona prior to data output using the --noduplicates option. However, I can't find an equivalent for data that has already been outputted by the SOLiD system.

There are multiple programs available for filtering out low-quality reads. That's not what I need.
        A few lines of your favorite programming language should be able to do it. Lexicographically sort by sequence and remove duplicates.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
          A few lines of your favorite programming language should be able to do it. Lexicographically sort by sequence and remove duplicates.
          Something like this: http://github.com/drio/dups.fasta.qual
          -drd

Comment

Thanks. I didn't get email notifications that people had replied to my post, so I didn't find these until just now.

For what it's worth, I believe that FASTX_collapser ( http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_toolkit/ ) can also do this, with the caveat that your .csfasta and _QV.qual have to be merged into a .fastq first (with the .csfasta double-encoded) if you also want to remove the duplicates from your _QV.qual file.

Comment

Wouldn't removing all identical reads result in enrichment of reads with errorrs? Perhaps filterting on the first part and allowing some duplicates would work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
                Wouldn't removing all identical reads result in enrichment of reads with errorrs? Perhaps filterting on the first part and allowing some duplicates would work better.
                Probably true. That's why it's better to remove duplicates after alignment/assembly. Unfortunately, I'm feeding the end-product to CLC Genomics Workbench and they don't have duplicate removal yet. The dupes are messing up my SNP discovery pretty badly.

I'd turn on a maximum coverage limit, but since it's a transcriptome, the coverage varies with expression level, so I'm hesitant to omit highly covered regions. I've tried exporting to BAM, removing dupes with Picard and importing back in, but the reimport didn't work for whatever reason.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses