No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting paired-end (PE) bam file to single-end (SE) fastq

Hi:
    while working with COAD TCGA BAM files, I find the very annoying to find PE reads. These files are mashed up and not consistent.
    for example:
    1. read lengths are not consistent. Some are 34 some 76 reads.
    2. Many reads miss mate or pair.

I want to identify novel splicing differences however TCGA BAM files are mapped to known transcripts (known exon pairing from known isoforms gtf) thus limiting the discovery of novel isoforms.

I decided convert BAM to fastq and realign to full genome.

While doing this, because of loss of many pair and mates in bam, I converted them to single end fastq.

Any ideas if converting a paired-end bam to single end fastq pose any problem in philosophical ways.

thanks

Yes, you'll be expected to decrease your mapping efficiency a bit, since one mate can act as an anchor to rescue the other. Further, it's much easier to use paired-end reads to find isoforms, since you're then not relying solely on alignments over a splice junction.

Comment

Yes thats a disadvantage I agree.

Unfortunately, the bam file does not have enough PE reads.

When I used bamtofastq for PE fastq files, interestingly I obtained 0 fastq reads.

Comment

Adrian,

You can try running repair.sh to split the file into paired and unpaired reads, and then map twice, once for the paired and once for the unpaired, and then merge the bam files. That will allow maximal use of the available information.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses