No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swbarnes2
    replied
    samtools mpileup should also take as a commend line entry a position, or a bed file of positions, so you don't need to generate a line for every base in the genome.

Leave a comment:

• susanklein
    replied
    Thanks SNPsaurus, I will try that. But I've now found that the published SNP locations I have been using have mistakes so have to go back a step..

S.

Leave a comment:

• SNPsaurus
    replied
    I do think the mpileup command is what you want. I am not sure what your pipeline is making, but it sounds like the pileup format (. or , for the reference base with ATCG with alternates).
    You can output a vcf with genotype compared to the reference for each position:
    samtools mpileup -gu -f ref.fasta sorted.bam | bcftools call -c - > all.vcf
    The genotype will be 0/0 for homozygous reference, 0/1 for heterozygous with the alternate listed allele, and 1/1 for homozygous alternate.

bcftools call -cv would output the variants only.

You might want to use bcftools consensus to create a modified fasta file with your variants:

Leave a comment:

• susanklein
    started a topic finding the base at a position in a bam

finding the base at a position in a bam

Hi All,

I have seen some other threads on this subject, sorry I don't have the links. But none of them seem to resolve the problem. I am trying to do something very simple but no tools for bam files seem to have the facility. I have tried samtools and GATK to no avail.

All I need is to get the consensus read base at particular positions of the reference in a bam file. I am trying to check the state of SNPs from a particular bacterial SNP typing scheme in my NGS data. Not all of the positions will actually be a SNP, in which cae they have the same base as the reference, and I want that reported, so .vcf is no good to me.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions. I suppose I can just use samtools to make the vcf and then if a position is not listed then assume it is the reference base. I do find samtools almost impenetrable.. would this line be appropriate?

samtools mpileup -I -uBf ref.fasta 1_sorted.bam | bcftools view -bcg - > 1.bcf && bcftools view 1.bcf > 1.vcf

but I don't understand the output vcf file because it seems to have a '.' for the reference base and then the proper A T C or G for the 'alt' base(s).

Thanks for any help,

S.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses