No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Optimal Assembly from Quast Data

Hello Everyone,

I am very new at next generation sequencing and have a question about choosing which assembly is the best to use going forward. My samples are isolates of Helicobacter pylori that I have sent for whole genome sequencing. I have paired end Illumina reads and used Trimmomatic to process them and FastQC to make sure everything appeared acceptable. I then tried deNovo assembly of the forward and reverse paired reads using Velvet, Abyss and SPAdes. I then took the contig files produced from these 3 assembly methods and ran them through Quast to evaluate which assembly worked the best. I have attached links to the alignment produced and the summary file.

Alignment:

Summary File

Abyss and Spades had similar output, with SPAde perhaps being marginally better based on # contigs, largest contig, and N50. Velvet was quite different from Abyss and SPAde and had much fewer misassemblies (6 vs 35 for AByss and 31 for SPAdes). I am not sure what would account for this large difference.

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to which assembly is the best to use and/or how to improve my assemblies I would really appreciate it. Like I said I am super to to NGS and have limited computing skills so this has been a huge learning experience for me (but a fun one!).

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Velvet has a much lower misassembly rate because it is less aggressive and produced a much more fragmented assembly (N50=3862 compared to 141550 for Spades).

I tend to look at the number of predicted long genes (>3000 and >1500bp) as an indicator of assembly quality. Here, Abyss and Spades are similar and Velvet is very much inferior.

It's kind of a toss-up whether Abyss or Spades assembly is better. Spades is more continuous with slightly fewer misassemblies, so I'd probably favor that.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I was leaning towards Spades but Velvet being so different was throwing me off. I will go with Spades, which is what my gut was telling me but as I am so new I wanted to make sure I was making the right call. Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses