Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert .fna file from NCBI to .fa or .fasta file

Hello,
    I am totally new to this (I am a student following a course in bio-informatics) and I wanted to use a genome found on NCBI (in .fna or genbank format with .gff annotation) as a reference genome in STAR as an exercise but I cannot find a way to convert the .fna file so the genome can be read by STAR in --genomeFastaFiles. It is a genome not found on normal genome database sites (UCSC e.g.) since it is from a copepod and not much genomic work is done on copepods...
    Is this even possible to use such a genome as a reference genome or is this a bad idea from the start?
    Thank you in advance,
    kind regards,
    Josefien

As far as I know, .fna just means fasta nucleic acid (as opposed to .faa, fasta amino acid, for protein sequences), so the file is actually in fasta format.

Comment

The problem is; STAR is not recognizing this fasta format (.fna), I am getting an error that is impossible to read this fasta file, that why I wondered if it was not possible to convert from .fna to .fa. Or do you think it is a problem with the file itself and STAR is able to read/load .fna files?

Comment

Just rename the .fna extension to .fa (as long as the file is in fasta format). That should work.

Code:
        $ cp file.fna file.fa
        If you are not sure about the format of the file post the output of this command
        Code:
        $ head -10 file.fna

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          Just rename the .fna extension to .fa (as long as the file is in fasta format). That should work.

Code:
          $ cp file.fna file.fa
          If you are not sure about the format of the file post the output of this command
          Code:
          $ head -10 file.fna
          thank you very much it is working now !

Comment

could you please explain that changing the file extension won't effect the results for which we are mapping with a reference genome in case of RNA-seq for HISAT2 software?

Comment

No the results will not be affected since we are not changing sequence/content of any data files. We are only renaming the file.

Comment

will the content is same in both files?

Comment

Yes. As long as you only change the file name.

Comment

Thank you for your help

Comment

Working...
                    X