Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory-efficient reference-based assembly / or any Velvet versions online?

I am trying to do something very simple here, but due to memory limitations I am stuck, and can no longer use Velvet's Columbus feature.

I had the reads from a shotgun sequencing of a bacteria.
    I performed genome assembly using velvet (kmer size 31) and received the contigs

Now I want to perform assembly once again on those reads, but this time, reference-based assembly, using those Velvet contigs as reference.

How can I do that in an easy way?

What I tried to do was this: using BWA to index the contigs, align the contigs with my reads and then using bwa sampe to get the aligned sam file. Sorted the sam file. used velveth with -reference option on the contigs file and -sam on the sorted sam file, and I received a Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error... Which as far as I have searched for, is related to memory.. Since this is an urgent task and I need to finish it soon. I wonder whether there are any other ways to do reference-based assembly or is there an online version of Velvet? I tried some on galaxy sites, but none offered the -reference option.

There are other ways to do reference-guided assembly, but it does not really make any sense to me why you would want to do it in this case. Mapping paired reads to an assembly and scaffolding with a standalone tool like SSPACE might be useful, though.

Comment

Bowtie2 would perform a similar task but I'm not sure if it's less computationally heavy. I usually find it is quicker too.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses