Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this strand specific pair-end RNA-seq data?

Hi all,

I downloaded some RNA-seq datasets from NCBI, but some libs have 3 raw files like: (from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra?term=SRR059171)
    300M SRX022780_SRR059171_1.fastq.bz2
    300M SRX022780_SRR059171_2.fastq.bz2
    11M SRX022780_SRR059171.fastq.bz2
    I know the _1/2 are paired tags, but what is the last file? It is much smaller, some reads in the last file:
    @SRR059171.6873676 SL-XBB:7:120:1786:2047
    NTGGNGTTNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    +
    !%%%!%%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    @SRR059171.6873810 SL-XBB:7:120:1790:2045
    NTCCANTNTCTTTNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    +
    !%%%%!%!%%%%%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that file adaptor sequences? I have no understranding about adaptor, normally when I got the sequences, I just do mapping and further analysis.
    In the nature methods paper used that dataset (Comprehensive comparative analysis of strand-specifc RNA sequencing methods), they mentioned that the adaptors in the NNSR, Hybrid, SMART libs were trimmed and then mapped to the genome.
    But how can I know what and where is the adaptor? Is the adaptor at the 5'-end, like XXXX in read XXXXTTTTTTTTTTTATCG...? And is XXXX in some pattern, like alway AACC?

Thank you!

I would guess they are unpaired and low quality reads...

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
      I would guess they are unpaired and low quality reads...
      Thank you! At least now I know it is not some conventional RNA-seq file. I'll just use _1 and _2 file for my further analysis.
      About the adaptor, I scanned the start a few nucleotides to see some over-represtented nucleotides to decide the length of the adaptor. Hope this is a correct way to get rid of adaptors.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses