Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extended cigar in bwa-mem

Hi all,

I am aligning pacbio reads to a reference genome using bwa mem. Do you know how to output an extended CIGAR in output sam file from bwa v0.7.13?

My command is:
    Code:
    bwa mem -x pacbio refgenome.fasta reads.fastq > output.sam
    Thanks in advance

What exactly do you mean by "extended CIGAR"? bwa mem will output SAM files with an appropriate CIGAR string already.

Comment

He probably means cigar strings with X and = symbols instead of M, which are very handy.

Comment

Yes, this is what I mean by "extended cigar". By the way, I found a tool that can do that a posteriori, in case someone else is interested: SamFixCigar (http://github.com/lindenb/jvarkit )

Comment

Are there any plans to extend bwa to write X/= instead of M? At least optional?

Comment

You can now use BBMap's reformat.sh to add those:

reformat.sh in=mapped.sam out=extended.sam sam=1.4

I have not tested it extensively on things like hard-clipping but it should generally work.

Comment

Brian,

thanks for the suggestion. I will try :-)

Nevertheless I'd wish bwa would provide an option to either use M or X=.
              Just to avoid more I/O due to another conversion ...

Sven

Comment

After studying some docs I do see that with optional MD:Z I am even as flexible as with X=, with the advantage of not having too "complicated" CIGARs. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X