Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2 interaction term results differ between full dataset & subset

Hi all, hoping someone has some insight on this because I am completely stumped...

I'm using DESeq2 for differential analysis between 2 different experiment/sequencing types (wholly different methods, not like SE vs PE) and with multiple treatment conditions vs. one control condition. I do have a batch effect so I have to include that term in my design as well.
    ID Batch Condition SeqType
    1 1 ctrl X
    2 1 A X
    3 1 B X
    4 1 C X
    5 2 ctrl X
    6 2 A X
    7 2 B X
    8 2 C X
    9 1 ctrl Y
    10 1 A Y
    11 1 B Y
    12 1 C Y
    13 2 ctrl Y
    14 2 A Y
    15 2 B Y
    16 2 C Y

So the design ends up being " ~ Batch + SeqType + Condition + Condition:SeqType "

With reference levels for Condition=ctrl & SeqType=X, this gives me resultsNames of:
    • Intercept
    • Batch_2_vs_1
    • SeqType_Y_vs_X
    • Condition_A_vs_ctrl
    • Condition_B_vs_ctrl
    • Condition_C_vs_ctrl
    • SeqTypeY.ConditionA
    • SeqTypeY.ConditionB
    • SeqTypeY.ConditionC

It's my understanding that using results(dds, name="SeqTypeY.ConditionA") should give me the genes for which changes (ie. A vs. ctrl) in sequencing type Y are independent of changes in sequencing type X.

This analysis works and I get reasonable results for all of my conditions when I do not subset the data (i.e. conditions A, B, C, and ctrl are all in the same counts file input to the DESeqDataSet object, then results are called separately for each). However, when I subset by condition (i.e. input condition A & ctrl only), all the genes have padj>0.95 in the interaction term results.

Does anyone know why this is happening or if it matters? I'm concerned it means I'm doing something wrong in the multiple conditions analysis?

A related question - does the padj value correct for multiple comparisons between all genes within a specified results table (i.e. for all genes in the "SeqTypeY.ConditionA" results) or does it correct for multiple comparisons between all genes across all possible results tables (i.e. SeqTypeY.ConditionA vs. SeqTypeY.ConditionB vs. SeqTypeY.ConditionC)? I did the subset analysis because I was trying to answer this question for myself and I'm afraid I've just made my confusion worse....

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses