No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuffdiff and zero FPKM values give enormous log ratio

Hi all,
    I'm new to RNA seq and I'm working with TopHat - Cufflinks - Cuffcompare - Cuffdiff pipeline.
    I use Cufflinks without annotation and then Cuffcompare for two samples with annotation. I put the results of Cuffcompare (transcripts.combined.gtf) to Cuffdiff as input. Is this the right way?

I have results from cuffdiff for differential expression testing. As a result for DE testing it provides the following measure: ln(FPKMx/FPKVy) for ratio for the gene between two samples X and Y. If for gene A in sample X FPKMx = 2 and for the sample Y FPKMy=0, then the ratio is like 1,79 E306, so enormously big
    How do you deal with it?

Any ideas are very welcome!

Hello

Regarding the huge ratios, i think they are hard to avoid. There is no other way to handle the scenarios where you have a gene that is switched on/off, that i know of.

If you were to plot your ratio values, you would likely see most of them around 0 - a couple of thousand perhaps, and some scattered outliers with ridiculous high values. You can then set a suitable cutoff and say that all genes with a ratio higher than X (say 1e10 or 1e20) are genes that have been turned off or on. It is pointless to sort them with respect to their ratio size, since they all should have Inf.

Computers don't like to divide by 0, so a small number (like 1e-500 or so) has been added to the FPKMy in the division to keep the program from crashing, since many programming languages can't handle infinite numbers.

Cheers
    Dahlo

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses