No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bfast for analyzing AB's SOLiD data

Dear Bfast experts and users,

I have 4 questions and hope to seek some answers from the community. My questions are interspersed in the bfast workflow described in two parts below.

PART-1
    1- convert experimental data to bfast input (these are for mate-pair library preps).
    solid2fastq -n 500000 -o reads *.csfasta *.qual
    ("reads.j.fastq" , j=1...,N files created)

Q1- Is this command right for mate-pair library prep.

2- reference sequence to nucleotide space and color space
    bfast fasta2brg -f ref_genome.fa
    bfast fasta2brg -f ref_genome.fa -A 1

3 - create 10 masks using information from manual
    generate 10 bif files (M=10)
    bfast index -f ref_genome.fa -m <mask> -w 14 -i <index number> -A 1

10 is optimal for analyzing the human genome as suggested by the authors for bfast.
    Q2- Can anyone please suggest a number for the mouse genome? An approximate value would be good enough - say 15 or 50?

I prefer not to compromise on sensitivity - so I prefer to use all indices to map short reads - part2 .. summarized below.

PART-2
    1- bfast match
    bfast match -f ref_genome.fa -A 1 -r reads.<N>.fastq > bfast.matches.file.ref_genome.<N>.bmf

2- bfast localalign
    bfast localalign -f ref_genome.fa -m bfast.matches.file.ref_genome.<N>.bmf -A 1 > bfast.aligned.file.ref_genome.<N>.baf

3- bfast postprocess
    bfast postprocess -f ref_genome.fa -i bfast.aligned.file.ref_genome.<N>.baf -A 1 > bfast.reported.file.ref_genome.<N>.sam

Q3- If I choose to split jobs for PART-2, for specific indices, Do I use bmfmerge after #1 and before #2 ?

Q4 - With bmfmerge, What would be the cutoff / flag for reasonable analysis using the mouse genome? An example command would help please. It has been suggested that a value of "-M 500" may be useful when aligning the Human Genome. I would welcome any suggestions for the mouse genome.

Hope you can please help,
    Thanks very much in advance,
    cheers,
    another new bfast analyzer.
    ---------------

Q1 - Looks good.
    Q2 - Use the ten provided; they should be sufficient.
    Q3 - Yes.
    Q4 - The "-M" option should match the value in "bfast match" and "bfast localalign". The defaults should match across commands.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses