No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nilshomer
    replied
    Razib Khan will store them for you: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...lic-genotypes/

Leave a comment:

• dan
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael.James.Clark View Post
    I need to go into it more in-depth, but we can choose to share our data with each other through the 23andme.com site, right? I think I just need to switch it to public sharing with other users on the site.
    Yeah, you can share within the site, but you'll loose that data when your subscription expires. I'm looking for a free community site that we can use to upload our data (downloaded from from 23andMe).

Leave a comment:

• Michael.James.Clark
    replied
    I need to go into it more in-depth, but we can choose to share our data with each other through the 23andme.com site, right? I think I just need to switch it to public sharing with other users on the site.

Leave a comment:

• nilshomer
    replied
    See my data and screenshots: http://nilshomer.com/index.php?title=My_Genetic_Data

Leave a comment:

• dan
    replied
    How many people here went for this deal? We should do something fun with the data!

I downloaded my data and stuck it here: https://github.com/dbolser/genotyping_23andme

I put an idea for a wiki based 'genome game' here:

Could be fun! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• KerryOdair
    replied
    Best $200 I every spent getting both my results and my mothers results. When I first got my results I never put much stock in the 5cm segments thinking that they were to small to be of any great consequence or to small to take any stock in the results. When I compared my mothers results at 5cm to my list at 5cm, removing the common countries gave me the list of these remaining countries from my list. These being a fairly good probability of coming from my fathers side.

Those countries were:
    Palestinian
    Greece
    Albania
    Syria
    Morocco

Four others were:
    Mexico
    Bolivia
    Belgium
    Phillippines

The first group has both a geographical significance along with a historical connection.

The second group of Mexico, Bolivia and the Phillippines are most likely coming from my great great grandmother on my fathers side native to Mexico. The Belgium segment could be a wandering relative or an anomaly.

This first group makes me think of some cohort connection in the Roman army or someone coming up from Morocco into Iberia then to the British Isles. This certainly reinforces some of best case guess on my older origins.

Leave a comment:

• KevinLam
    replied
    Originally posted by westerman View Post
    It is tempting. It is so hard to buy presents for my parents, sisters and brother. I bet this is one present that they haven't purchased for themselves!
    haha if I did that I think that would be one of the less appreciated present for them hmmmm

Leave a comment:

• KerryOdair
    replied
    Version 2 vs Version 3 chip set snps

Customers can expect to have the following approximate numbers of SNPs for their genotyping platform:

V2 only: 576,000 SNPs

V3 only: 967,000 SNPs

V2 + V3 (upgraded): 996,000 SNPs

Learn more about the world of genetics on 23andMe's Blog! Discovery of what your DNA can tell you about health, ancestry, and science.

We have new information pertaining to your previous inquiry. Our v3 platform includes 3066 SNPs on the Y chromosome and 2736 mitochondiral [sic] SNPs. Our v2 platform included 1752 SNPs on the Y chromosome and 1998 mitochondiral [sic] SNPs. The complete list is not yet available.

Best Regards,
    The 23andMe Team

Leave a comment:

• KerryOdair
    replied
    Originally posted by Joann View Post
    That would be such a cool gift. Archive everybody's sequences and update the family tree every other year or so around the holidays.
    Hello Joann,

Last year as a holiday gift I had my mother tested by 23andme. Since my father is no longer alive to sample, I am able to compare my results to my mothers results to see what snp's are coming from my father's DNA. I was able to confirm that the 4% Asian in my DNA score comes from my fathers side of the family. This confirmed my paper genealogy to my 23andme results and my native south american ancestor on my fathers side. This is one way this testing can be used. Diekenes Blog spot on population analysis is also another interesting aspect of this testing. Link below:

Personal anthropology through the power of genomics

Leave a comment:

• KerryOdair
    replied
    Originally posted by dp05yk View Post
    I've been looking into 23andMe and I'm confused as to what they're actually offering. As a computer science student I'm not 100% on all the biology yet and it seems absurd that they're actually (re)sequencing your entire genome for $400. Is the state of sequencing technology such that $400 is a fair price, or is it not exactly what I'm thinking it is?
    23andMe is not sequencing your DNA. They are testing SNP's on chip technology. These are known and identified SNP's that they test your DNA against. Some of the SNP's on the chip test for the X and Y chromosome. So your haplogroups at some level can be identified for both your maternal and paternal ancestry. The other SNP's on the other chromosomes test for autosomal results. Below is a good link with a glossary of terms.

Leave a comment:

• KerryOdair
    replied
    Originally posted by ECO View Post
    They aren't resequencing...you basically get the results of a 500k SNP genotyping chip, but their value is the annotation and continued research into variants and health implications.

They actually just cut the price to $99...but you have to subscribe to a $5/month.

I appreciate their desire to reduce the entry costs, but I don't really like the subscription model, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Looks like I'll be genotyping my whole family soon. Anyone know if you can download your entire dataset with the new pricing model?
    I have loaded all my data down from the Version 2 chip set. I have not heard or read anything that would indicate that you cannot download your results file of the snp's tested with this new version 3 chip and pricing. Below is the link for most frequently asked questions.

Leave a comment:

• KerryOdair
    replied
    With this new pricing a new version 3 chip is being used for testing. The Version 2 chip had about 500k snp's. The new Version 3 has 1 Million snp's on the chip approximately. Some of these new snps are geared to medical identification. This new pricing includes both the ancestry as well as medical editions for the consumer. There are other testing alternatives as well in the market place. There is more information on this type of testing at the the following link:

Leave a comment:

• Joann
    replied
    That would be such a cool gift. Archive everybody's sequences and update the family tree every other year or so around the holidays.

Leave a comment:

• westerman
    replied
    Originally posted by ECO View Post

They actually just cut the price to $99...but you have to subscribe to a $5/month.

I appreciate their desire to reduce the entry costs, but I don't really like the subscription model, will be interesting to see how it pans out.
    Only a 1 year subscription is required. So you could consider the total cost to be $160. Quite affordable compared to the normal price of $500. The price cut is suppose to be only good through Dec. 25th but, like all sales, it portends a general price cut in the future.
    Looks like I'll be genotyping my whole family soon.
    It is tempting. It is so hard to buy presents for my parents, sisters and brother. I bet this is one present that they haven't purchased for themselves!

Leave a comment:

• bioinfosm
    replied
    thats cool Eco!

I would assume the data should be downloadable, but never tried first hand..

Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses