Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with M13 universal tailed fusion PCR for 454 pyrosequencing

I am having great difficulty getting the 2nd round PCRs (where I add the 454 fusion tailed primers to my template specific primers using an M13 primer tail) working effectively. I generally get a very low amount of PCR product that is often a smear. I have been gel purifying the 1st round add trying a variety of PCR protocols and profiles (adding 150ng 1st round template and PCRing for 4 cycles and also just adding 1ul and PCRing for 15 cycles), but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a protocol that works for this step?
    I am also concerned that the overhanging "A" added by the taq polymerase may be a issue for annealing of fusion tailed primers. Has anybody found the type polymerase has an effect? I have tried Bio-act short mix and Roche's FastStart.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Maybe a "suppressive PCR" effect ?
    see Evrogen...

Comment

I am just about to embark on this so don't have much to offer...have you seen Bybee et al. 2011 and Hajibabaei et al. 2011? Bybee uses a different tail and Hajibabaei doesn't specify, but I am assuming it is also M13 as I know they use M13 tails for standard sanger sequencing. Daigle et al. 2011 also has some details. I also recently came across a blog of someone who is troubleshooting this, I haven't read it thoroughly but it may have some ideas.

http://enggen-nau.blogspot.ca/2012/0...es-off-to.html
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I ended up having alot of trouble using an m13 tail with my COI primers. I ended up developing my own tail, which was G-C rich. This meant I could use a high Tm and avoid problems with secondary structure in the 2nd round PCR's. Although I haven't got the data from the run yet to see how well it has worked

It is hard to find detailed information on the success of different universal tails

Comment

universal tail

Hi Melcar,
          Did you have any success using customized universal tails? I wanted to try the M13 sequences but maybe you had a better luck with your customized GC rich tail?

Comment

The GC rich Tail work really well, I got heaps of product in the secondary PCR and it sequenced well using 454. I would definitely use these types of primers over M13. I have submitted the work for publication, so finger crossed it will be out soon

Comment

melcar

we would like to know details of your success. could you share with the public the sequences of universal tails you have developed.

Comment

Universal tail

The work in now published. See below

Title: Environmental monitoring using next generation sequencing: rapid identification of macroinvertebrate bioindicator species

Authors: Carew E Melissa, Pettigrove J Vincent, Metzeling Leon, Hoffmann A Ary,

DOI: 10.1186/10.1186/1742-9994-10-45

URL: http://www.frontiersinzoology.com/content/10/1/45

You will find the sequences for the universal tails in the methods

Cheers

Comment

Thank you a lot!

Comment

Working...
                  X