Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the New Seqanswers!

Welcome to the new Seqanswers! We'd love your feedback, please post any you have to this topic: New Seqanswers Feedback.
See more
See less

Spam prevention: Posts from new users will be filtered for spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also slightly more intelligible yet useless spam like this:

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56416

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      Seems to be only one account (slowly) getting through at the moment. Depending on what permissions they get, you might want to just deputize a few more moderators.
      Happy to...volunteers welcome!

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
      Another possibility, at present, is to prohibit the use of non-ASCII unicode characters in new posts, if you have that kind of flexibility...
      I am working on installing a totally new spam protection, probably when I upgrade to vBulletin5...

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Looks like the bots are working through the new "300 seconds between two posts" limit.
      Yeah, this is a stopgap until I have a better system...

Thanks guys for bearing with this...I know it's annoying. We are getting hammered lately...

Comment

I guess I'll volunteer, since at least that will spread out the time zone coverage a bit. BTW, the spammer seems to have gotten through somehow.

Comment

I'm also willing to wield moderator powers for banning the occasional spammer.

In the meaning the 300s rule means 5 minutes between posts, which sadly blocks my usual pattern of scanning the forum periodically and answering a batch of questions. I hope this stopgap can be replaced...

Comment

Perhaps introducing "captcha" for first 15-10 posts would eliminate bots?

PS: I'm unsure how easy it is for site admins to introduce any new feature based on time, and financial resources.
            Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

I highly recommend immediately banning or moderating all posts from new members with Korean (or, less-ideally, non-ASCII) characters in the title. These are all spam, and I think it really detracts from the site's reputation to constantly have the latest posts being spam.

Comment

Working...
              X