Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samtools pileup coverage

I have a BAM with duplicates marked by picard. When I run pileup with concensus calling on the BAM, pileup reports coverages without the duplicates. I'm pretty certain about that because i did a "samtools view bam chrX:xxx-xxx | wc -l " to count the number of reads in a BAM and it's much more than what pileup reported

I couldn't find any documentation that says samtools pileup excludes duplicated marked reads in its calculation of coverage. Is there anyway to make pileup include duplicates marked reads in the coverage?

Thanks.

Originally posted by guavajuice View Post
    I have a BAM with duplicates marked by picard. When I run pileup with concensus calling on the BAM, pileup reports coverages without the duplicates. I'm pretty certain about that because i did a "samtools view bam chrX:xxx-xxx | wc -l " to count the number of reads in a BAM and it's much more than what pileup reported

I couldn't find any documentation that says samtools pileup excludes duplicated marked reads in its calculation of coverage. Is there anyway to make pileup include duplicates marked reads in the coverage?

Thanks.
    See the "-m" option that remove reads with certain bits set in the flag (like PCR duplicates). Modify however you want.

Comment

samtools pileup process reads by pushing them in a pileup buffer. one of the conditions it goes through before pushing is to check the the read flag variable "flag_mask" in the pileup buffer structure

The flag_mask is defined when
      1) mate is unmapped
      2) not primary alignment
      3) QC failture
      4) optical or PCR duplicate

so it bascially won't include duplicates in a pileup unless you rewrite that condition and compile samtools yourself.

For my case, if i want duplicates read to be reported in samtools, i'll have to run pileup on the BAM before marking it with duplicates.

Comment

After apply MarkDuplicate on bam file from bwa alignment, samtools flagstat can detect the number of duplicates, how to setup the QC flag for samtools to detect? In my case samtools always detects 0 QC failure.

Thanks

Comment

use "-m 772"

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
            by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
            08-27-2024, 04:44 AM
          • seqadmin
            Selecting and Optimizing mRNA Library Preparations
            by seqadmin

Sequencing mRNA provides a snapshot of cellular activity, allowing researchers to study the dynamics of cellular processes, compare gene expression across different tissue types, and gain insights into the mechanisms of complex diseases. “mRNA’s central role in the dogma of molecular biology makes it a logical and relevant focus for transcriptomic studies,” stated Sebastian Aguilar Pierlé, Ph.D., Application Development Lead at Inorevia. “One of the major hurdles for...
            08-07-2024, 12:11 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 08-27-2024, 04:40 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 08-22-2024, 05:00 AM
          0 responses