No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioinformatics in clinical diagnostics/research

Hello there

I am kinda new to bioinformatics (venturing back into this after 10 years), my background is molecular biology. I know very little about bioinformatics, I know mainly web-based tools that are commonly used like BLAST, clustalW, web-based genome browsers, so basically anything that does not require programing skills. I also have very little experience with Miseq and Basespace

Going deeper, I read alot of using Perl, Python or other programing languages to be used in bioinformatics, what are these languages used for? is it for programing your own codes? or is it to be used in available (free or paid) softwares? You see my background in bioinformatics is mainly with easy, click and go, no programing software.

I am interested mainly in Clinical Diagnostics/clinical research bioinformatics (benchtop sequencers), in those fields, what bioinformatics skills will be required? will be knowing programming languages critical, for example lets take a SNP scenario, will be using variant studio software (from illumina) or using any similar software, like enlis or omicsoffice will be sufficient for SNPs? as the workflow of these software are loading your files, applying filters and look for suitable candidate variants..etc

I mean in that field clinical diagnostics, will those kind of software will be good, or a deeper bioinformatics skills will be required?

Sorry if my English not good, it is not my native language. I am also little bit confused and I have many questions in mind and can't really present them in a coherent way!!
    Last edited by NGS newb; 06-09-2015, 12:16 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
0 responses