X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ieuanclay
    replied
    Hi Ben,

I have seen this in 0.9.9 and 0.9.9.1 (x64), m.musculus ncbi36 and 37 indices (offrates 2,3,4,5). Args were -q --solexa-quals -a --unfq ... -p 2/3/6 . Input was only ~1/2 Mb of fastq reads! Worrying because the real input will be >2Gb! In all cases the combination of -a and --nostrata seemed to be causing the problem, because with only -a the footprint was as expected.

I will try 0.9.9.2 today and get back to you - i checked yesterday and noticed you had improved the --best behaviour (thanks!) so i'll try it with that too.

Thanks again,

Ieuan

## update ##
    0.9.9.2 does not have the same problem, and has roughly the rsaem footprint for both -a and -a --nostrata. Any idea what the change was? Either way I am happy!
    Last edited by ieuanclay; 04-07-2009, 06:32 AM. Reason: update

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi Ieuan,

Can you tell me which Bowtie version/index/reads/arguments you're using? Also, could you give the same experiment a try with version 0.9.9.2 (just released)? I'll take a look.

Thanks,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• ieuanclay
    replied
    Hi Ben,

Thanks for your advice earlier, post-processing of results is now working well!

However I have found that using --all isn't a problem, until i specify --nostrata as well which causes me to rapidly run out of memory (>32Gb) and get the std::bad_alloc error I think a few people mentioned earlier. I had built indices with smaller -o, but even using a high offrate, small footprint index has the same problem. Any suggestions (other than not using --nostrata...)?

THanks again,

Ieuan

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Yes, that's correct. An ambiguous characters in the read is "charged" as a mismatch, which can affect whether the alignment is legal according to the alignment policy.

Leave a comment:

• SillyPoint
    replied
    Ben, your answer to What Da Seq's question a couple of days ago about ambiguity characters was:

A result of Bowtie's indexing strategy is that alignments involving one or more ambiguous reference characters (N, -, R Y, etc.) are considered invalid by Bowtie, regardless of the alignment policy. This is true only for ambiguous characters in the reference; alignments involving ambiguous characters in the read are legal, subject to the alignment policy.
    Do I interpret "legal, subject to the alignment policy" to mean they are accepted, but counted as mismatches subject to the -n limit?

Thanks,

--SP

Leave a comment:

• tniranj1
    replied
    You're probably right... I'm using for too old an operating system. Hopefully I will have results-oriented questions for you in the future, rathe than technical installation stuff. ;-)
    Thanks again,
    -TiN

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Darn! Sorry to waste your time.

I can testify that the gcc4 and gcc346 versions on Leopard (from the developer's tools) work fine for me, as do the various gcc4 versions I've tried on Linux. I'm sorry that that 3.4.6 doesn't seem to be working under 10.3. I will add it to my TODO list to address some of that problematic SeqAn code before the next release. In the meantime, since 3.4.6 didn't work, waiting for your Leopard computer is the option that has the least chance of wasting more of your time.

Ben

Leave a comment:

• tniranj1
    replied
    I just installed gcc 3.4.6 and changed the etc/profile $PATH to reflect the update. When I ran make again, significantly more SeqAn-1.1 errors popped up (too much to post). There is no suffix to the new g++ file. Should I shoot for gcc4.x or would it be more appropriate to wait until our Leopard computer comes in... I would prefer to start testing with this computer now, though.
    Really appreciate the help!
    -TiN

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Well, the oldest g++ I've used is 3.4.6, which works without warnings. I just tried 3.2.3 and got a bunch of warnings and errors; mostly in the SeqAn headers. So, yes, if you happen to have a newer g++ version somewhere on your machine then please try that. E.g., try typing g++ then hitting tab to see if there's something called g++4 or g++34 or similar. If there is something called g++34, for example, then make bowtie using 'make GCC_SUFFIX=34'. Let me know if that doesn't work; I can try to fix this in a future version of Bowtie.

Thanks,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• tniranj1
    replied
    I'm using gcc version 3.3 with bowtie 0.9.9.1. Do I need version 4 or higher for g++ in order for installation of bowtie to work, or is 3 sufficient?
    Thanks,
    -TiN

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    What version of g++ do you have (try 'g++ -v') and what version of Bowtie are you trying to compile? Is there another g++ version installed besides the default? I'm not familiar with 10.3, but you can try running g++3 and g++4 and see if either of those work.

Thanks,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• tniranj1
    replied
    Help with installation

I'm new to next-gen sequencing and have started playing around with different alignment tools for data that will soon be coming in to my lab. From what I've heard, Bowtie sounds perfect, and I appreciate the speedy feedback that's been made available to the community.
    I do have a slight installation problem. I get the following error during "Make".

SeqAn-1.1/seqan/basic/basic_generated_forwards.h:507: error: parse error before numeric constant
    SeqAn-1.1/seqan/basic/basic_generated_forwards.h:761: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
    make: *** [bowtie-build] Error 1

I installed the platform-independent version on my Mac (OS 10.3.9... yes, it's old I know, we're upgrading soon). Appreciate any help with resolving this.

-TiN

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Yes, all bowtie-build options are identical in terms of the index's ability to generate alignments (except those that have slight, non-specifics effect like --ntoa or --oldpmap).

Leave a comment:

• What_Da_Seq
    replied
    Thanks Ben. I could not identify an option for "bowtie-build" that is geared towards maximum efficiency (not speed nor memory efficiency) in generating alignments (least amount of non-aligned reads) in the Bowtie alignment.
    Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    The Bowtie indexing step elides stretches of ambiguous bases in the reference. As a result, alignments that overlap an ambiguous base in the reference are never considered "valid" by Bowtie and will not be reported.

This is explained in a couple of paragraphs in the manual that are new as of 0.9.9.1:

A result of Bowtie's indexing strategy is that alignments involving one or more ambiguous reference characters (N, -, R Y, etc.) are considered invalid by Bowtie, regardless of the alignment policy. This is true only for ambiguous characters in the reference; alignments involving ambiguous characters in the read are legal, subject to the alignment policy.

Also, alignments that "fall off" the reference sequence are not considered legal by Bowtie, though some such alignments will become legal once gapped alignment is implemented.

Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
0 responses