No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IrisZhu
    replied
    Following Ben's suggestion, so I mapped the two mates seperately. But still only a small percentage of reads get mapped.

===mate1=====
    reads processed: 130653415
    # reads with at least one reported alignment: 47875358 (36.64%)
    # reads that failed to align: 82659307 (63.27%)
    # reads with alignments suppressed due to -m: 118750 (0.09%)
    Reported 47875358 alignments to 1 output stream(s)

====mate2=====
    # reads processed: 130653415
    # reads with at least one reported alignment: 35773578 (27.38%)
    # reads that failed to align: 94798249 (72.56%)
    # reads with alignments suppressed due to -m: 81588 (0.06%)
    Reported 35773578 alignments to 1 output stream(s)

If bowtie works well, then there are two explanations: either the human refseqs are far from complete, or, the sample is contaminated with a lot of pre-mRNA/genomic DNA.
    Any comments are welcome

Iris

Leave a comment:

• IrisZhu
    replied
    Originally posted by Lee Sam View Post
    If she's aligning against the set of RefSeq transcripts, wouldn't she automatically get the alignments for reads spanning splice junctions?
    I am supposed to. That's why I don't use tophat.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Langmead View Post
    Hi Iris,

Paired-end alignment against the transcriptome is tricky, because the distance between the mates in genome space is affected both by fragment length, and on the "shape" of the transcriptome. E.g. when a fragment spans a long intron, the intron size is in some sense "added" to the fragment length. A better way of measuring sequencing quality is to break the mates apart and align both files in an unpaired manner. And an even better way is to use TopHat or another tool that attempts spliced mapping, so that alignments that span splice junctions can be found as well.

Hope that helps,
    Ben
    If she's aligning against the set of RefSeq transcripts, wouldn't she automatically get the alignments for reads spanning splice junctions?

Leave a comment:

• Zigster
    replied
    A more useful way to pose this question in the future is to find one example of a read or a pair of reads that you expected would map, but did not.

Leave a comment:

• IrisZhu
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Langmead View Post
    Hi Iris,

Paired-end alignment against the transcriptome is tricky, because the distance between the mates in genome space is affected both by fragment length, and on the "shape" of the transcriptome. E.g. when a fragment spans a long intron, the intron size is in some sense "added" to the fragment length. A better way of measuring sequencing quality is to break the mates apart and align both files in an unpaired manner. And an even better way is to use TopHat or another tool that attempts spliced mapping, so that alignments that span splice junctions can be found as well.

Hope that helps,
    Ben
    Thanks Ben.
    I see. I'll map the two mates separately.

Iris

Leave a comment:

• Ben Langmead
    replied
    Hi Iris,

Hope that helps,
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• transcriptome mapping with bowtie -- only 22% reads hit

To check how well the sequencing parts were done, I used bowtie to map all the reads from RNA-seq directly to human refseqs, and I got only 22% (of ) of reads have at least one hit, 78% failed to align, which I think is impossible.

my command is:
    "bowtie -p 5 -m 10 -f trx -1 mate1.fa -2 mate2.fa >output"

The output:
    # reads processed: 130653415
    # reads with at least one reported alignment: 28765542 (22.02%)
    # reads that failed to align: 101882364 (77.98%)
    # reads with alignments suppressed due to -m: 5509 (0.00%)
    Reported 28765542 paired-end alignments to 1 output stream(s)

Any idea why so few reads got mapped? what did I do wrong?

Thank you very much,

Iris

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
    by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
    Today, 07:15 AM
  • seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:18 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:04 AM
0 responses