No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Hi everyone,
    I just signed-up for this community. It seemed that whenever I did a Google search regarding a NGS topic, my results almost always included a hit from this forum and I was typically able to find the information I was looking for. So it only made sense to join.

I'm a research scientist and an epidemiologist for the US Dept. of Health and Human Services. For the past 10 years, my lab has primarily been using high-density custom microarrays to investigate the genomes of microbial pathogens as it pertains to public health. Our microarrays are comprehensive and powerful and provide a nearly complete snapshot of a genome. We've done head-to-head experiments comparing our array data with WGS data acquired from the same set of strains and have found that both technologies yield nearly the same complete snapshot of a genome. So, while we have no intentions of moving away from microarray technology, we have recently purchased an Ion Torrent PGM and an Illumina MiSeq. We intend to use these instruments for investigating bacterial isolates that we have deemed as having genomes that are "inconsistent" or "anomalous" relative to other strains within the same species/type (based on our array data).

As newbies, we anticipate sequencing 15-25 microbial genomes per month (for the first year). We also have some metagenomics and transcriptomics in the works.

I'm eager to roll-up my sleeves and delve into this exciting new technology....

Best,
    SJ

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM
  • seqadmin
    Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
    by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
    05-06-2024, 07:48 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:55 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 05-30-2024, 03:16 PM
0 responses