Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just downloaded to check and it states clearly to be Public Domain, so it should be free to do whatever you want with it assuming all code is their own. I suspect it is too as for curiosity I looked at the nastier parts of SRF implementation and see they completely reimplemented the interlaced-deflate algorithm used in staden-io_lib (which itself is under a BSD licence so they could easily have lifted it verbatim).

Maybe they didn't like my coding style, or perhaps like me just enjoyed writing a compression algorithm. :-) Hmm, I wonder how theirs performs. It's got lots of very carefully crafted bit twiddling in there so someone put a lot of effort into it.

Comment

All NCBI software is "Public Domain" - read Wikipedia if in doubt what does it mean.

Many pieces are rewritten to either avoid extra licensing restriction or to simplify complex structure of another library. Staden-io_lib was rewritten long time ago - for TraceArchive.

The only extra library SRA API needs for accessing data is libz. Some other tools may need libbz2, libxml2 and libhdf5

For the curious, SRA single-file format represents a directory. You can use "kar" utility to convert between real directory and single file. Files named "data" are blobs indexed by files named "idx*". The data in blobs is structured and compressed with methods picked carefully for every datatype. All of the rules are recorded in metafiles "md/cur".
      Metadata also contains the rules for producing "virtual" datatypes. For example, you can read FASTA type through API while physical data is 2na or even colorspace.

As a result, the format is impossible to document easily - a staff of technical writers would be needed to do it. As for the openness and sharing - having source code available does qualify for it.

Comment

Originally posted by srasdk View Post

As a result, the format is impossible to document easily - a staff of technical writers would be needed to do it. As for the openness and sharing - having source code available does qualify for it.
        That basically confirms James' surmise early. Thanks.

Comment

An example of how to use the API can be found here:

Although it is quite old (2009). Did anyone make any progress on this?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
            by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
            05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
          • seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
          0 responses