• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry

Comment

sorry again...i think it's not ok

Comment

Comment

Wow, this is quite a mess. Huge amounts of points with 0 reads in one and more than 10,000 reads in the other library. What have you sequenced there? If this is ordinary RNA-Seq data, things went quite wrong.

Comment

this is a RNAseq experiment in mollusc eggs. Raw reads after orthologs clustering. Yes, there are some points with a huge different among the two libraries. Is this the reason why I obtained so different normalization factors?

Comment

But...the two samples correspond each to a different stage...Maybe the expression profile between the two conditions is huge...and in this case, which is the best solution in order to normalize the raw count?

Comment

No matter how you normalize, all genes will show huge differences. And you will have no way to figure out whether you might have seen as huge differences has you sequenced two eggs from the same developmental stage (this is well possible: maybe mollusc eggs differ a lot from each other, or maybe your wet-lab protocol is unstable). This is, of course, just another example while doing an experiment without at least duplicates is simply bad science and a waste of time and money (and by now, no decent journal will accept such studies any more, I hope), but I am repeating, what I already said often in previous threads.

Sorry for the pessimism, but quite frankly, I doubt that it's worth putting much more effort into this analysis. What exactly had you hoped to find?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
                  No matter how you normalize, all genes will show huge differences. And you will have no way to figure out whether you might have seen as huge differences has you sequenced two eggs from the same developmental stage (this is well possible: maybe mollusc eggs differ a lot from each other, or maybe your wet-lab protocol is unstable). This is, of course, just another example while doing an experiment without at least duplicates is simply bad science and a waste of time and money (and by now, no decent journal will accept such studies any more, I hope), but I am repeating, what I already said often in previous threads.

Sorry for the pessimism, but quite frankly, I doubt that it's worth putting much more effort into this analysis. What exactly had you hoped to find?
                  The experiment is mainly a transcriptome characterization...this is the reason why we didn't plan any replicates.In order to study the whole transcriptome, in my opinion, a simple normalization intra-library is enough.
                  But I also hoped to find few genes differentially expressed, without a p-values and without statistical power, just to find transcripts (maybe 5-10) which show a huge difference between the two conditions. Just a first step to be validated, no more. To do this I need an inter-library normalization.
                  Considering the data, do you think that this objective is too ambitious?
                  Marianna

Comment

I work on whole-transcriptome also. I believe there is a lot of alternatives for normalizing this kind of data. I have tried edgeR but it did not produce meaningfull normalization by human eyes. What I do instead is based on FPKM/RPKM counts e.g. via Cufflinks. E.g. select 5-10.000 genes that are expressed in all samples and then normalize by these. If samples are of different origin this approach may prove insufficient.

Comment

Hi Puggie,
                      thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by puggie View Post
                      E.g. select 5-10.000 genes that are expressed in all samples and then normalize by these
                      what do you mean normalize by 5-10.000 gene, how? you mean RPKM normalization?

Originally posted by puggie View Post
                      If samples are of different origin this approach may prove insufficient.
                      the two samples I have come from the same tissue but different maturation stage. But several genes seem to be extremely DE (0 vs 100.000 reads!)

Anyway RPKM normalization makes sense only if you don't need to compare different samples.

Marianna

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                      0 responses