No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standalone blast

Hi

I have downloaded standalone blast and formatted a nucleotide database. I wish to use tblastn to compare Arabidopsis proteins against it. I made a db folder in the folder where blast is saved and changed to that directory then ran the following command:

tblastn -query tair1prot -db petunia -evalue 0.01

However I receive an error:

BLAST Database error: No alias or index file found for the nucleotide database [petunia] in search path [C:\Program Files\NCBI\blast-2.2.25+\db;C:\Program Files\NCBI\blast-2.2.25+\db;]

As you can see I think the program is taking the file path of the current directory and then adding the directory where databases are stored on to the end. This would mean the db directory and the index file are not found. If I change directory to C:\ for instance then the errror would be C:\;C:\Program Files\NCBI\blast-2.2.25+\db;

How can I stop this from happening so the database can be located correctly? What do you think I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Jon

The simplest answers are either tell BLAST where you files are (instead of -db petunia use something like -db "C:\my files\petunia"), or put your files in the BLAST database folder where BLAST automatically looks, C:\Program Files\NCBI\blast-2.2.25+\db

Comment

did you format your database? I get the same error when I forget to run formatdb

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I was using makeblastdb which I think formats the db so I think my problem was a permissions issue. I ran tblastn from a folder in my documents and the output file was created there (it wouldn't work when running from within program files).

I've had success running one or two proteins against the nucleotide database. However, now I've started the program with the entire TAIR protein database it is understandably taking a long time to run. My nucleotide database is about 1.3MB in length and I believe there are ~300000 proteins. How long can I expect this to take on a normal pc (i7 processor/4GB RAM) or should I really be thinking about running it on a supercomputer?

Thanks

Jon

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses