Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get IMAGE2 running ?

I tried using IMAGE2 but there is no 'readme' or 'install' file and I can't find any information that explains how to install the software. I tried to run IMAGE2 on the example provided with the program, but after running the 10 iterations , the gaps seem not to be closed...
    This is what i did:
    I downloaded the Dec., 2 version (v2.3) from Sourceforge, copied the precompiled binaries to /usr/local/bin/ and made them executable on a Linux Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit workstation. I looked at the scripts run.sh and image.pl and saw some variables that have to be declared (such as paths to velvet, ssaha, etc.) but i still do not get the gaps closed in iteration 10 (i can mail the output to anybody willing to help).

# software path
    # this is the path where the IMAGE path is
    # Please change it accordingly
    VELPATH=~/home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/
    SSAHADIR=~/home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/
    WALKPATH=~/home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/
    Then i did:
    cd /home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/example
    sbaeyen@PXLSEQ:~/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/example$ home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/image.pl -prefix 76bp -iteration 1 -all_iteration 10 -dir_prefix iteration > imagetest.txt
    When I run the 'image_run_summary.pl' script,
    sbaeyen@PXLSEQ:~/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/example$ perl /home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/image_run_summary.pl iteration, , I get:
    The prefix is : iteration
    iteration Starting_gaps Gap_closed Gap_extend_oneside Gap_extend_bothside
    1 5 0 0 0
    2 5 0 0 0
    3 5 0 0 0
    4 5 0 0 0
    5 5 0 0 0
    6 5 0 0 0
    7 5 0 0 0
    8 5 0 0 0
    9 5 0 0 0
    10 5 0 0 0
    Does anybody have a clue what i need to adapt to get this program running/what i did wrong?
    Best regards and thanks for any advice!
    Steve
    ps if you want i can send you the program output imagetest.txt

I don't know what the issue is (for release 2.3) but i got it to run somehow. I ran the command as you had and it failed. However, afterward I was able to make IMAGE2 run on the example dataset by deleting the ".noN.3000" off the end of the headers of the contigs:
    sed -i 's/\.noN\.3000//g' contigs.fa.original

Here's the alignment:

now to see if i can get this to work for SOAP alignments...
    Last edited by ians; 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

For the first tests with the new version , this fixed the problem for me:
      export PATH=$PATH:/blahblah/IMAGE_version2
      I did that before running the image.pl script and it fixed my problem. I'm not sure if it would help you.
      no error messages during the run? can you show me the output file?
      Also, I noticed you changed the run.sh. This was necessary in the previous version but I don't think it's necessary in this new one. Even if that's the case, the change you mentioned :
      VELPATH=~/home/sbaeyen/Bio/IMAGE/IMAGE_version2/
      would check /home/sbaeyen/home/sbaeyen .
      Of course, if in the output file you get something like "velvet found!" then it doesn't matter.

Comment

test set not actual pairs?

Took a look at the test set and both "pair" ends have the exact same sequence and header. 76bp_2.fastq headers don't even change the last 1 to a 2. Anyone know whats up with that?? Does image really just treat everything as frags? Yet running the test set closes gaps.

ian@grid010:~/image-2.3/example$ head 76bp_1.fastq
        @Read.Salmonella_paratyphi_A_chromosome.29004.4835/1
        TCGTGTACAGCATTCTTTATAGTGGAACGGTGACCGTACCGCAAAGCTGCGAAATCAACGCCGGACAAACGATTCT
        +
        AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
        @Read.Salmonella_paratyphi_A_chromosome.29010.4836/1
        ACAGCATTCTTTATAGTGGAACGGTGACCGTACCGCAAAGCTGCGAAATCAACGCCGGACAAACGATTCTGGTGAA
        +
        @Read.Salmonella_paratyphi_A_chromosome.29016.4837/1
        TTCTTTATAGTGGAACGGTGACCGTACCGCAAAGCTGCGAAATCAACGCCGGACAAACGATTCTGGTGAATTTCGG
        ian@grid010:~/image-2.3/example$
        ian@grid010:~/image-2.3/example$
        ian@grid010:~/image-2.3/example$ head 76bp_2.fastq
        @Read.Salmonella_paratyphi_A_chromosome.29004.4835/1
        TCGTGTACAGCATTCTTTATAGTGGAACGGTGACCGTACCGCAAAGCTGCGAAATCAACGCCGGACAAACGATTCT
        +
        @Read.Salmonella_paratyphi_A_chromosome.29010.4836/1
        ACAGCATTCTTTATAGTGGAACGGTGACCGTACCGCAAAGCTGCGAAATCAACGCCGGACAAACGATTCTGGTGAA
        +
        @Read.Salmonella_paratyphi_A_chromosome.29016.4837/1
        TTCTTTATAGTGGAACGGTGACCGTACCGCAAAGCTGCGAAATCAACGCCGGACAAACGATTCTGGTGAATTTCGG

Comment

I've been running image2 with the following command:

perl /media/Space1/Software/PAGIT/IMAGE/image.pl -scaffolds g7vrefA_split.fa -prefix g7_pairedreads_60 -iteration 1 -all_iteration 10 -dir_prefix ite -smalt_minScore 62 -kmer 71 -vel_ins_len 346 2> stdout &

and it seems to be working fine for me.

Although I notice that often times to rerun image (i.e., if you want to extend the number of iterations at a lower kmer) using 'restartIMAGE.pl' I have to delete the last iteration folder and run from the previous one (I don't know why).

There is a nice publication in Nature Protocols this year by Swain et al that gives good step by step and trouble shooting advice.

Comment

Thanks Aaron, The review was very helpful!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses