No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 statistics

Hi all!
    3 years ago we did a 454 run over a transcriptome data and using the Newbler release 1.1.03.24 we got some statistics in order to know the mean number of assembled reads per contig, the number of contigs with only 2 reads and so on...as we thought that a read could be assigned only to a single contig.
    Today, we've used the 2.6 release software and the number of reads we've got from 454Allcontigs.fna ("numreads=" column) is larger than the total number of assembled reads. That's because a read could be assigned to a multiple contigs, isn't it? (as the contigs are "exons") If true, how kind of statistics do you advise in order to compare both sets of data??
    From newblerMetrics I got that 83.48% of reads were assembled but I want to get such a value from the assembled contigs file as I've seen something like:
    >contig00030 length=1 numreads=48 gene=isogroup00001 status=ig_thresh
    t
    >contig00031 length=6 numreads=4495 gene=isogroup00001 status=ig_thresh
    CACTTC
    >contig00032 length=3 numreads=61 gene=isogroup00001 status=ig_thresh
    GgA
    >contig00033 length=3 numreads=345 gene=isogroup00001 status=ig_thresh
    gtA
    >contig00034 length=2 numreads=2030 gene=isogroup00001 status=ig_thresh
    TA
    >contig00035 length=1 numreads=1914 gene=isogroup00001 status=ig_thresh
    A

I hope I was clear enough!
    Thanks in advance.

Parsing the 454ReadStatus.txt file may the best solution.

Comment

Thank you westerman. You are right, that seems to be the right place to find out the solution, but what kind of reads it's going to be assembled?? I mean: in 454NewblerMetrics file you have assembled reads, partial reads, singletons, repeat reads, outliers and tooshort (they appear in the last software release I think). I've read the flxlex blog (http://contig.wordpress.com/2010/03/...rics-txt-file/) and it seems that Assembled plus Partial and Repeat should be the number of aligned repeats...
      However, what does it mean the "numreads=" in the 454Allcontigs.fna file??

Comment

Originally posted by jordi View Post
        However, what does it mean the "numreads=" in the 454Allcontigs.fna file??
        I am going to guess here because I am deep into looking at other problems at the moment (although it should be easy to find out with a bit of digging) that the 'numreads=' is the count of all reads that contribute to the contig, no matter if that read maps uniquely to that contig or not.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
          I am going to guess here because I am deep into looking at other problems at the moment (although it should be easy to find out with a bit of digging) that the 'numreads=' is the count of all reads that contribute to the contig, no matter if that read maps uniquely to that contig or not.
          As far as I know, this is correct.

Comment

Working...
          X