No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thmourikis
    replied
    Thanks a lot Richard! I really appreciate that!

Best,
    Thanos

Leave a comment:

• Richard Finney
    replied
    awk -v n=1 -v p=0 '/^\/\//{p++;if(((p%1000)==0)&&(p!=0)){close("out"n);n++;next}} {print > "out"n}' yourfilename.gbk

splits at 1000 records.

Leave a comment:

• thmourikis
    replied
    Hi Peter and thank you for your immediate reply.

I currently use Perl (not very experienced though). I guess I can try to alter Richard's awk command and implement it in a Perl script for renaming etc.

Thank you once again.

Leave a comment:

• maubp
    replied
    Thanos - which scripting languages do you know? GenBank records end with a // line (which is what Richard's awk command exploits) so it is very simple to split up a file into sub-files named however you like using Perl, Python or Ruby.

Leave a comment:

• thmourikis
    replied
    Hi all,

I have the same problem but I want to split the file every 1000 entries. My file has 500,000 records and I want 500 files of 1000 records each. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanos

Leave a comment:

• Richard Finney
    replied
    split genbank files using awk

awk -v n=1 '/^\/\//{close("out"n);n++;next} {print > "out"n}' yourfilename.gbk

Split yourfilename.gbk into multiple files by splitting at "//" (end of record) line.
    Last edited by Richard Finney; 03-20-2012, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nickloman
    replied
    Come on Peter, I caught you napping again

Leave a comment:

• maubp
    replied
    If you want one file per record, try EMBOSS seqret and the -ossingle_outseq option.

EDIT: That probably does the same as EMBOSS seqretsplit suggested by Nick while I was writing this.

Do you just want to break it up into batches, say 10 records in each file? Or, do you have a particular order in mind (which could involve either sorting or random access).
    Last edited by maubp; 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM. Reason: Nick posted at same time

Leave a comment:

• nickloman
    replied
    I haven't tried it out but 'seqretsplit' from the EMBOSS package might do what you want. Otherwise it's a quick script in Bioperl or Biopython, e.g. in BioPython (untested)

Run like python splitgbk.py < input.gbk

Will create a file for each entry in the current directory.

-- splitgbk.py

Code:
    from Bio import SeqIO
    import sys

for rec in SeqIO.parse(sys.stdin, "genbank"):
       SeqIO.write([rec], open(rec.id + ".gbk", "w"), "genbank")

Leave a comment:

• joscarhuguet
    started a topic splitting big genbank file

splitting big genbank file

I have a big gbk file containing multiple gbks, is there any simple way to split this big gbk into small gbks Thanks.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Recent Developments in Metagenomics
    by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
    09-23-2024, 06:35 AM
  • seqadmin
    Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
    by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
    09-09-2024, 10:59 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 10-02-2024, 04:51 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 10-01-2024, 07:10 AM
0 responses