Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smk_77
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 1

    #1

    Is Data filtering step mandatory?

    Hi All,

    I have been trying to use Tophat and also RSEM on illumina data. I always filter the data first when I use Tophat and I have always wondered whether it does its own filteration step or it would be better to filter the data yourself and then trim it using FASTX toolkit etc. Using this approach and then using cuffdiff the overlap with qrtpcr has not been good. So I started using RSEM and I thought I made a mistake by not filtering the reads but then I found that RSEM does neglects the reads by itself as is evident from its output.

    # reads processed: 54476831
    # reads with at least one reported alignment: 45346199 (83.24%)
    # reads that failed to align: 9054059 (16.62%)
    # reads with alignments suppressed due to -m: 76573 (0.14%)

    Thus I was wondering whether my analysis with RSEM would be correct or wrong. As ideally such tools should automatically filter the reads if they are not bad.
  • arvid
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 156

    #2
    It's not clear to me what you mean by filtering; do you mean trimming off low-quality bases and dropping short/N-containing reads, or something else?

    You might want to know what those 16 % non-mapped reads are - if they contain adapter sequences it is lost data that could possibly be recovered.
    It is not really necessary to trim off low quality 3' ends with RSEM, since it allows for many mismatches outside Bowtie's seed region (unless they've changed that recently). However, I'd clip off adapter sequences (if any suspected when examining the data with e.g. FastQC) and remove rRNA reads to avoid total read count biases (rRNA tend to be abundant and sometimes at quite different amounts in different samples).

    Comment

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • SEQadmin2
      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
      by SEQadmin2


      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
      ...
      09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
    • SEQadmin2
      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
      by SEQadmin2




      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

    ad_right_rmr

    Collapse

    News

    Collapse

    Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
    0 responses
    13 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
    0 responses
    37 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    28 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
    1 response
    48 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Working...