Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cufflinks_cuffdiff confusing

I have two samples, one is without treatment, the other one is with treatment. I want to detect some altertive spliced transcripts or significant differential expressed transcripts after treatment. I got the transcripts from each of the two samples using cufflinks. And then I ran cuffcompare to see the specific transcripts and then run cuffdiff. At this stage, I got a problem. No matter from the transcripts.gtf files or the cuffcpm.tracking file, it shows CUFF.1.1 is a new transcript after treatment. However, when you use cuffdiff to detect the expression level, you also can get a value of CUFF.1.1 in no treatment sample. In this case, could I call CUFF.1.1 is a new transcript after treatment? There're so many this kind of cases. It seems the output from cuffdiff is inconsistent with the output from cufflinks, especially for isforms level. How can I solve this problem? Can anyone give me some advices, as I get stuck here for a long time?
    Last edited by MeixiaZhao; 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM.

i'm not entirely sure what the problem is. are you confused about the cufflinks annotation for genes (CUFF.X.X)?

try this with your samples:

1. align with tophat
    2. obtain "transcripts.gtf" for each sample via cufflinks
    3. run cuffmerge on all of the transcripts.gtf files from cufflinks
    4. run cuffcompare on the output of cuffmerge to compare it to a known gene annotation (assuming your species has one). you may download those from Ensemble or UCSC's table browser
    5. run cuffdiff on your samples using the output of cuffcompare as your reference annotation

as a result of the cuffmerge -> cuffcompare stage your reference annotation will include known annotation id's (such as ensemble gene/transcript ids or UCSC ids). the "CUFF.X.X" ids will be gone. novel genes that are not present in the known annotation will be named "XLOC_*" with transcript names "TCONS_*" where * will be replaced by some multi-digit number with leading zeros.
    /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
    Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

I'm sorry I should talk in detail, I did in this way:
      1. align with tophat
      2. obtain "transcripts.gtf" for each sample via cufflinks
      3. run cuffcomapre to get cuffcmp.combined.gtf and cuffcmp.tracking. From the cuffcmp.tracking file you can track the transcripts pairs in previous two transcripts.gtf:
      TCONS_00000001 XLOC_000001 Glyma01g00320|PAC:16242897 j q1:Wound.5|Wound.5.1|100|4.065532|3.183595|4.947470|6.244929|2793 q2:Inoculate.3|Inoculate.3.1|100|3.278571|2.377879|4.179264|3.927685|2824

TCONS_00003640 XLOC_001025 Glyma01g00270|PAC:16242891 j -
      q2:Inoculate.1|Inoculate.1.1|100|6.060541|2.561486|9.559596|5.658878|-
      in this file, based on structure you can see the transcript Inoculate.1.1 only exists in q2 sample (treatment)
      4. run cuffdiff, the results show like this:
      TCONS_00003640 XLOC_001025 - Inoculate.1.1 - 6.0605409438 Glyma01g00270 Gm01:27935-61502 q1 q2 OK 3.67357 6.55645 0.835731 -1.09456 0.273708 0.510541 no
      q1=3.67357(no treatment),q2=6.55645(treatment), you also can get the expression data for Inoculate.1.1 in no treatment sample although cufflinks didn't report this transcript in its own transcripts.gtf.

It's a little hard to describ this issue. Based on my understanding, for no treatment sample, the reads or fragments are not enough for cufflinks to report transcript Inoculate.1.1, but later on if you provide this structure for cuffdiff to caculte expression, it will give the expreesion data. I'm not sure my understanding is right or not. I also checked the junction.bed. Even transcripts.gtf of no treatment didn't report Inoculate.1.1, I still found some junctions located in Inoculate.1.1. This is consistent with my understanding. How do you think?
      Last edited by MeixiaZhao; 05-01-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

i see. i think what's going on is the difference between how cufflinks thinks and just simply counting reads aligning to a gene. let's say you've got a get with 5 exons and only 3 of them have coverage. cufflinks may very well say that gene is not present. it's sometimes kind of harsh in that way. however, three of the exons have coverage and you can, therefore, obtain an expression level for that gene by quantifying those reads in the appropriate way. i think that's what cuffdiff is doing in your case. for some reason cufflinks is not able to recover that gene in its transcriptome assembly process but there is still coverage there than can be quantified by cuffdiff.
        /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
        Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses