Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paired or SE are sufficent

I have a data-set for RNA seq which somehow the lab has sequenced with Single end reads (I would have suggested PE). Originally plan was to use it for differential expression of human genes, transcripts. But later on I learned that the cell which was used was from a naturally infected with virus. My question is will it be reasonable if I align with viral genome and try to find out differential viral genes affected or it may be best to have PE for more specificity/ have more data to be more confident about viral genes.

Viral genome

Any suggestion please

Comment

Originally posted by mathew View Post
      I have a data-set for RNA seq which somehow the lab has sequenced with Single end reads (I would have suggested PE). Originally plan was to use it for differential expression of human genes, transcripts. But later on I learned that the cell which was used was from a naturally infected with virus. My question is will it be reasonable if I align with viral genome and try to find out differential viral genes affected or it may be best to have PE for more specificity/ have more data to be more confident about viral genes.
      So i tried somethign similar to what you're doing once... i aligned human reads to a viral genome and even with paired end i got a lot (quantitatively, not relatively... i.e numerically a lot but relatively was ~0.01% of the human fastq reads file) of non-singleton maps (possibly due to certain homologous regions).... so if ur question is to figure out the viral genes contamination on your organism, i think u might need a different more specific approach.

Comment

Viral genes paired or single end

Thanks for your reply. Actually, my aim is not to find out virus as conatminant, but study both viral as well as human genes in a cellline which is naturally infected with virus. I thought once we align with himna genome- say we have around 80% reads and then with virus even though geneome is of small size with single reads we may not have enough to detect viral genes, I ahve alos been searching litearture and find- http://jvi.asm.org/content/86/3/1458.full where they have used PEX 100.

Any suggestion I am still debating how to procede?

Thanks

Comment

Hmmm... you can try what they did in that paper.... align with strict criteria i guess to get better results... i'm not sure about RNA seq aligning but as i said, when i aligned DNA reads from a non infected human genome to a viral genome i got some reads aligning (i never went further to check why) so you might need some sort of filter to remove these anomalies (true negatives i think, no?)!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses