Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have you done splice site prediction on NGS data?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on enriching an NGS annotation pipeline with better splice-site variant predictive scores. According to the CMGS one should use a consensus of at least three tools and they name NNSPLICE (available on fruitfly.org), NetGene2, Alex Dong Li's splice site finder (which appears to no longer exist!), GeneSplicer, and the human splice finder (HSF) database.

Aside from GeneSplicer and NetGene2, which both require large amounts of sequence information in order to make a prediction and, despite positive reviews, haven't demonstrated great sens./spec. in some perfunctory testing I've done, these are mostly web-based applications that don't seem to have any option for local installation or high-throughput use.

I've found MaxEntScan (not named by the CMGS, but used in HSF and Alamut's SS predictive toolkits) to be the only tool which requires relatively small amounts of sequence data and can make reliable predictions off of them.

So, to the point, has anyone done work to bring in better splice site variant scoring algorithms in a high-throughput analysis pipeline? Have you any thoughts on how one might actually leverage some of the predictions these web apps make? (E.g. run the splice regions for every gene on the web and store the outputs in a local database -- Oh, the horror of the thought!)

Thanks!

Hi

I am also trying to annotate a large number of variants with splice prediction scores. The only program I have found which allows batch entries is Skippy http://research.nhgri.nih.gov/skippy/ however this is only for exonic variants. Does anyone know of a program that allows batch inputs for exonic and intronic variants?
    Thanks!

Comment

Any updates in this field?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses