Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble understanding the in-del

I have trouble understanding the following IN-DEL. I am not a Bioilogy person, more towards the informatics side of Bioinformatics and will highly appreciate if any one can explain to me where is the insertion/deletion in the following piece of code I picked up from NCBI-SNP database.

>gnl|dbSNP|rs157738182 rs=157738182|pos=256|len=511|taxid=1773|mol="genomic"|class=in-del|alleles="-/ACCGCCGAGCAGACCGCCATCCGCGAG"|build=135
    GCCGAGAATC ACATGGACGC CCAACCGGCC GGCGACGCCA CCCCGACCCC GGCAACGGCG AAGCGGTCCC GGTCCCGCTC
    ACCTCGTCGC GGGTCGACTC GGATGCGCAC CGTGCACGAA ACATCGGCTG GAGGGTTGGT CATTGACGGT ATCGACGGTC
    CACGAGACGC GCAGGTCGCG GCTCTGATCG GCCGCGTCGA CCGGCGCGGC CGGCTGCTGT GGTCGCTACC CAAGGGGCAC
    ATCGAGTTGG GCGAG
    N
    GTCGCCGAGG AGACCGGCAT CCGCGGCAGT GTGCTCGCCG CGCTGGGGCG CATCGACTAC TGGTTCGTCA CCGACGGCCG
    GCGGGTGCAC AAGACCGTCC ACCATTATTT GATGCGGTTT TTAGGCGGAG AGCTGTCCGA CGAAGACCTC GAGGTAGCCG
    AGGTAGCCTG GGTGCCGATC CGGGAACTGC CGTCTCGACT GGCCTACGCC GACGAACGTC GACTAGCCGA GGTGGCCGAC
    GAACTGATCG ACAAG

I am not familiar with dbSNP but looking at the manual it clearly explains the fasta line.

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/snp/00readme.txt

Basically the indel is at the N. The allele shows the non-insert sequence (-) on the left side of the slash and the insert sequence (ACC...GAG) on the other side.

Comment

So I looked up the link you posted and I have below mentioned confusions:-
      1. What do you mean by insert and non-insert sequences?
      2. the link you posted shows the following format-
      >gnl|dbSNP|rs271 rs=271|pos=51|len=101|taxid=9606|mol="Genomic"|class=1|alleles="G/A"|source="dbSNP"
      5' sequence: CTGCATCACATGTACTGATTCTGTCCATTGGAACAGAGATGATGACTGGT
      variation: R
      3' sequence: TTACTAAACCCTGAGCCCTGGTGTTTCTGTTGATAGGGGGTTGCATTGAT

I am confused about the 5' and 3' sequence notations too. As far as I understand 'C' bonds with 'G' and 'A' with 'T' on complementary strands which is not the case here, then how are they in opposite directions?

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      I am not familiar with dbSNP but looking at the manual it clearly explains the fasta line.

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/snp/00readme.txt

Basically the indel is at the N. The allele shows the non-insert sequence (-) on the left side of the slash and the insert sequence (ACC...GAG) on the other side.

Comment

1) One of your alleles does not have an insert. The other does. That is the definition on an indel.

2) The 5' and 3' sequences refer to the flanking sequences. Not the complimentary strands. In the case with the allele="G/A" [not your original sequence] but the one you referred to in message #3 then the two alleles will be 101 bases long and will look like:

#1) CTGCA...GGTGTTA...GAT
        #2) CTCGA...GGTATTA...GAT

3) In your original sequence the alleles will look like

#1) GCCGA...CGAGGTCG...CAAG
        #2) GCCGA...CGAGACCGCCGAGCAGACCGCCATCCGCGAGGTCG...CAAG
        Last edited by westerman; 08-07-2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Thanks a tonne for your help
          I have Another question though , would you call the FASTA sequences I pasted above a paired end read?

Originally posted by westerman View Post
          1) One of your alleles does not have an insert. The other does. That is the definition on an indel.

2) The 5' and 3' sequences refer to the flanking sequences. Not the complimentary strands. In the case with the allele="G/A" [not your original sequence] but the one you referred to in message #3 then the two alleles will be 101 bases long and will look like:

#1) CTGCA...GGTGTTA...GAT
          #2) CTCGA...GGTATTA...GAT

3) In your original sequence the alleles will look like

#1) GCCGA...CGAGGTCG...CAAG
          #2) GCCGA...CGAGACCGCCGAGCAGACCGCCATCCGCGAGGTCG...CAAG

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
            by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
            05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
          • seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 05-07-2024, 06:57 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 05-06-2024, 07:17 AM
          0 responses