Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
    I think this may point to the problem. The VM may not have enough RAM allocated to it.

How big are the sequence files that you are trying to work with BTW?
    I was suspecting that, but I managed to process big sequence files so far using other programs, using different files I have done QC, trimming, assembly , alignment.
    Now I just wanted to process some files, thus I created a test file containing 4 150bp sequences, that should be doable.

However, there must be some limitation in this remote connection, which is causing this error.

Can you run the command "free -g" (without quotes of course) while logged into your VM and send the output? That should tell us how much RAM is allocated to your VM.
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3 2 0 0 0 1
    -/+ buffers/cache: 1 2
    Swap: 5 2 3

This does not look good?

Originally posted by westerman View Post
    3) Luka: Even without a sysadmin you should be able to install your own copy of fastX tools (from the web page I posted earlier). It may be frustrating but, heck, welcome to the "wonderful" world of bioinformatics.
    I guess that, but I does not seem easy, however , it has it charms. Anyway, I truly appreciate the effort you've put into this.
    My goal is actually to have a computer with Unix so we can install and use these tools directly on it, rather then like this.

Comment

Your VM has 3 GB of RAM allocated to it which is probably ok for QC type things (which you have already done). Since you have already done alignments that amount of RAM has not been an issue (perhaps you are working with a small genome).

Is there someone else you can ask to verify the fastx_toolkit install through their account?

Comment

Your VM has 3 GB of RAM allocated to it which is probably ok for QC type things (which you have already done). Since you have already done alignments that amount of RAM has not been an issue (perhaps you are working with a small genome).

Is there someone else you can ask to verify the fastx_toolkit install through their account?
        Hi, thank you for your post.

As suggested, I actually talked to IT people responsible for the installation of the fastax_toolkit and their reply was that this error has nothing to do with my remote access and that "buffer overflow detected" means that there's a bug in the program that causes it to crash.

And I have some more info I guess it can be useful, it is a RHEV (KVM) virtual machine with 4 GB RAM and 60 GB disk. It is running stock Fedora 17 with FASTX 0.0.13 from the official Fedora package repository (fastx_toolkit-0.0.13-6.fc17.x86_64).
        Last edited by Luka; 11-16-2012, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Sounds like if you want to use the fastx_toolkit you have to take the extra bit of effort and install it in your home directory as Rick had suggested. You can even get the precompiled binary for 64-bit Linux so all you would need to do is un-zip the archive.

Code:

wget http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_toolkit/fastx_toolkit_0.0.13_binaries_Linux_2.6_amd64.tar.bz2

tar -xvjf fastx_toolkit_0.0.13_binaries_Linux_2.6_amd64.tar.bz2
          When that works (no obvious reason why it should not) then you can go back to your IT and suggest that they use the original package to redo the install.

Comment

Sounds like if you want to use the fastx_toolkit you have to take the extra bit of effort and install it in your home directory as Rick had suggested. You can even get the precompiled binary for 64-bit Linux so all you would need to do is un-zip the archive.

Code:

wget http://hannonlab.cshl.edu/fastx_toolkit/fastx_toolkit_0.0.13_binaries_Linux_2.6_amd64.tar.bz2

tar -xvjf fastx_toolkit_0.0.13_binaries_Linux_2.6_amd64.tar.bz2
            When that works (no obvious reason why it should not) then you can go back to your IT and suggest that they use the original package to redo the install.
            Hi, before doing what suggested I forwarded your suggestion to my IT and their reply was simply that to reinstall the toolkit to my home directory will not solve this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Luka View Post
              Hi, before doing what suggested I forwarded your suggestion to my IT and their reply was simply that to reinstall the toolkit to my home directory will not solve this issue.
              So what is their solution? FastX does not have an obvious bug. The rest of us use it all of the time without problems. Certainly I can take the 1-sequence file you gave us and run fastx_renamer on it without problem. If you can not do the same then the problem is clearly in your or your IT's department setup.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
                by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
                05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
              • seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:35 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 02:46 PM
              0 responses