Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rcucullatus
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 7

    #1

    alternative to vcftools for vcf v4.1

    Hi everyone,

    I need to retrieve some basic information from a vcf file of whole genome reads mapped to a reference, such as coverage, nucleotide diversity, etc.. I found vcftools to do all I needed, but my vcf files are in version 4.1 which is not supported by the vcftools binary executable, and I can't seem to find a linux alternative for this. Anyone has any suggestions?

    Thanks!
  • sam123sam
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 2

    #2
    The latest versions of VCFtools do support v4.1 - what version are you using? I suggest you update.

    Comment

    • Rcucullatus
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 7

      #3
      Hi, thanks for your help. I'm using version 0.1.9. To be fair though, the problem is that I tried to retrieve average depth from my vcf file with the "vcftools input.vcf --depth" command and although everything looked fine with the analysis, the output had "nan" in the column when I expected the average coverage do be. I the assumed this might be due to the lack of support for vcf v4.1 (as I understand it is only supported in the perl scripts and not in the binary executable), but I might be wrong of course.

      Comment

      • sam123sam
        Junior Member
        • Sep 2012
        • 2

        #4
        Does your VCF file contain depth information (i.e. is there a a DP flag in the FORMAT fields)? If not, it's unlikely that VCFtools will be able to calculate depth.

        Comment

        • Rcucullatus
          Junior Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 7

          #5
          Yes, my vcf files have the DP field in the INFO column. That's why I got confused and assumed t was a problem of version incompatibility.

          Comment

          • vivek_
            PhD Student
            • Jul 2012
            • 164

            #6
            GATK has a whole suite of walkers that can get info from VCF files.

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            29 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...