No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too many indels output by varscan2

Hi all,

I used varscan2.3.2 to study groups of normal/tumor matched data sets. I used java -jar Varscan2.3.2 somatic [normal pileup] [tumor pileup]. It outputs about 9,000 indels, of which most of them are reported as Germline and about one hundred of them were LOH or Somatic.

This is my first exome-sequencing project. Does any one has an idea what happened to predict so many indels? BTW, I used bwa to map the reads and duplicates were removed before SNV call.

Thank you.

Hello,

I'm not sure what you expected to get, but those numbers (~9,000 called, of which 99% were germline/inherited, and 1% were somatic or LOH) are fairly typical for tumor-normal comparisons. Note that both "Germline" and "LOH" variants are present in the normal, but the latter became homozygous in the tumor due to loss of one allele.

Note that you can use the processSomatic command of VarScan to parse your output and break it down according to somatic status (germline, LOH, somatic) and confidence (high or low).

Comment

SeqAnswers is OK because we do monitor it, however, you might hear back faster from us if you post to the VarScan Help Forum.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses