Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separate multi-allelic VCF lines to multiple rows

The latest VCF formats (4.1+) allow for a single loci to cover multiple rows in the file when there are multiple alleles. The old standard of specifying multiple alleles in the same line is also valid. Unfortunately some analysis requires one standard and some the other. Are there any tools/scripts available which can take a VCF file with multiple alleles on one line and split them out to separate lines including the genotypes in the sample columns?
    Thanks!

Did you find a tool for this? I'm looking too.

Comment

No I didn't, I ended having to write my own custom ruby script to do it.

Comment

I wrote something in C++ (https://github.com/ekg/vcflib/blob/m...eakmulti.cpp):

% vcfbreakmulti --help
        usage: vcfbreakmulti [options] [file]

If multiple alleles are specified in a single record, break the record into
        multiple lines, preserving allele-specific INFO fields.

Comment

@ekg

I tried to compile vcflibs but I got some errors. Below the output of the make command, sorry it is in Italian but I can repeat with english language if needed.

bw
          Andrea

---------------------------

elmaffo@arc-HP8200i7 ~/Scaricati/vcflib $ make
          cd tabixpp && make
          make[1]: ingresso nella directory "/home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp"
          make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp"
          gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_USE_KNETFILE bgzf.c -o bgzf.o
          bgzf.c: In function ‘bgzf_close’:
          bgzf.c:630:8: warning: variable ‘count’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
          gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_USE_KNETFILE kstring.c -o kstring.o
          gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_USE_KNETFILE knetfile.c -o knetfile.o
          knetfile.c: In function ‘khttp_connect_file’:
          knetfile.c:418:2: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
          knetfile.c: In function ‘kftp_send_cmd’:
          knetfile.c:239:2: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
          gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_USE_KNETFILE index.c -o index.o
          gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_USE_KNETFILE bedidx.c -o bedidx.o
          ar -cru libtabix.a bgzf.o kstring.o knetfile.o index.o bedidx.o
          ranlib libtabix.a
          gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_USE_KNETFILE main.c -o main.o
          gcc -g -Wall -O2 -fPIC -o tabix main.o -lm -lz -L. -ltabix
          ./libtabix.a(bgzf.o): nella funzione "deflate_block":
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:311: riferimento non definito a "deflate"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:313: riferimento non definito a "deflateEnd"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:305: riferimento non definito a "deflateInit2_"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:329: riferimento non definito a "deflateEnd"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:345: riferimento non definito a "crc32"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:346: riferimento non definito a "crc32"
          ./libtabix.a(bgzf.o): nella funzione "inflate_block":
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:380: riferimento non definito a "inflateInit2_"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:385: riferimento non definito a "inflate"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:391: riferimento non definito a "inflateEnd"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bgzf.c:387: riferimento non definito a "inflateEnd"
          ./libtabix.a(bedidx.o): nella funzione "ks_getuntil":
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bedidx.c:11: riferimento non definito a "gzread"
          ./libtabix.a(bedidx.o): nella funzione "bed_read":
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bedidx.c:103: riferimento non definito a "gzdopen"
          ./libtabix.a(bedidx.o): nella funzione "ks_getc":
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bedidx.c:11: riferimento non definito a "gzread"
          ./libtabix.a(bedidx.o): nella funzione "bed_read":
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bedidx.c:138: riferimento non definito a "gzclose"
          /home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp/bedidx.c:103: riferimento non definito a "gzopen64"
          collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
          make[2]: *** [tabix] Errore 1
          make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp"
          make[1]: *** [all-recur] Errore 1
          make[1]: uscita dalla directory "/home/elmaffo/Scaricati/vcflib/tabixpp"
          make: *** [tabixpp/tabix.o] Errore 2

Comment

@Andrea

Non ti preoccupare, parlo italiano.

Mi sembra che si manca zlib: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...late-with-zlib

Zlib e' installato nella tua sistema?

Comment

@ekg

here is the list of Zlib-related packages on my Ubuntu 12.10 box:

Installed: zlib1g, zlib1g-dev, zlib1g:i386
              not installed: zlib-bin, zlib-gst, zlib1g-dbg, zlibc,

do I need anyone of the "not installed"?

thanks
              Andrea

Comment

@ekg

Found out the issue was related to tabixcpp, as specified by guillermo-carrasco in this thread (check out the last messages in the thread):

Hi, I'm trying to compile tabixpp on ubuntu , but am getting a lot of "undefined reference to xxxxx" errors (https://gist.github.com/2309326) Am I missing a step? Is this a known issue? rob-> make ...

I edited the Makefile in the tabixpp folder as suggested in the thread. Everything compiled.

Bye

Comment

Here you go

For anyone who is interested, I ended up writing a couple of scripts for splitting and merging multi-allelic lines.
                  They are available in the "utils" directory of the Atlas2 trunk.
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/atlas2/

Comment

Here is another small tool to do the same thing, written in python:

Simple vcf parser, based on PyVCF. Contribute to moonso/vcf_parser development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses