Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantifying contamination in RNA-Seq

I have some RNA-Seq data with a low proportion of reads aligning to the human genome (<50% in most samples, <20% in one or two). The sample prep involved very low numbers of human cells and so we are wondering if bacterial or fungal contamination could have occurred which may explain this.

Does anyone know of a resource/technique whereby I could test for this contamination? At the moment I am downloading bacterial 16S ribosomal sequences from RDP to see if I can align reads to those, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better way.

Have a look at FastQ Screen from Simon Andrews: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10288

Comment

Thanks! Looks good.

Comment

Yes it is! Just make sure you have all potential contaminants bowtie indexed.

Comment

How did you prep your samples? If you only had a few cells to begin with, I'm assuming there's some kind of amplification process going on during library prep.
          Run your data through FASTQC. It should pick out any over-represented sequences (i.e. amplification primers).
          We've done low cell number RNA-Seq before with the SMARTer kit from Clontech. It's good but there's a large amount of primer in the sequencing. Getting rid of these sequences improves our alignment %'s massively.

Comment

We used the NuGen Ovation kit. I did see quite a bit of primer contamination (detected with FASTQC), but even after trimming that out with reaper I still see a very low alignment %. Still trying to work out where the rest of the reads are coming from...

Comment

I take it you are aligning to the genome as you said and not transcriptome.
              We've had problems with DNA contamination when we tried NuGen preps. We had a lot of reads mapping to non-exonic sequences (due to the random priming).

Comment

Yes, aligning to the genome.

I get poor levels of aligning (<50%) and then within the reads that do align very high levels of ribosomal, intergenic and intonic sequences, so in the end the fraction of usable reads for transcript estimation is too small.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
                  by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
                  05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:03 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
                0 responses