Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLASH use question

I tried to use FLASH to join MiSeq paired end reads. The average library length was about 550 nt, so out of curiosity I pushed 2x251 reads. It did not go well and added a lot of low quality junk to reads. Anyway, when I run FLASH on the output, it joined only about 1.8% of reads, and most of reads were left unextended, which is likely not surprizing. But when I scratched the pumpkin a bit I got conflicting questions about FLASH use.

1. Do I need to clean reads to remove Ns and low quality parts/reads first?

2. If so, then I am going to violate one of FLASH requirements that paired reads must be in the same order in two files, as some reads will be obviously removed from both files in unlikely synchronous manner.

So how to address this problem?
    Last edited by yaximik; 01-08-2013, 06:23 AM.

FLASH quality values

Hi yaximik,

Just to let you know, I am currently suspicious about the quality values associated with the FLASH overlapping reads. I overlapped some Illumina MiSeq reads and the qualities of overlaps were immensely low. I found a lot of "G" quality value in my overlaps which would indicate a phred score of 7 (p[err]≃0.19).

I am now wondering which scale is FLASH using when reporting qualities? Some older scale perhaps?

Comment

this may help: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=FLASH

Basically you need to get you PE reads trimmed down for good alignment.
      Also, if there are drastically different product sizes (ie you used different primers) you should de-multiplex these first.

There is a link to a blog which details a solution in the link provided.

Comment

Originally posted by kammoji View Post
        Hi yaximik,

Just to let you know, I am currently suspicious about the quality values associated with the FLASH overlapping reads. I overlapped some Illumina MiSeq reads and the qualities of overlaps were immensely low. I found a lot of "G" quality value in my overlaps which would indicate a phred score of 7 (p[err]≃0.19).

I am now wondering which scale is FLASH using when reporting qualities? Some older scale perhaps?
        No, FLASH is using the newer scale (well it is also 'older' in the sense that it is the scale originally used when the Sanger Center defined the FASTQ format). Long, long ago (in NGS time scale) Illumina used Phred+64 to encode its quality scores, but then a few years ago they switched to the more conventional Phred+33 scale. Using ASCII(Phred+33) scale 'G'==38.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses