No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminate rRNA contamination with Bowtie

Hi,

I'm working with Illumina 101bp reads of marine sponges. Before trimming the adapters and filtering by quality with the Trimmomatic i run FastQC to check, among other things, the amount of overrepresented reads to have an idea of the rRNA contamination of my raw reads. I also run FastQC after the Trimmomatic to check exactly the same thing.

Now i'm dealing with the rRNA contamination. I'm aligning my reads against all the Porifera rRNA sequences in NCBI using Bowtie with the parameter --un that keeps the unaligned reads. My logic made me do that with my already trimmed and filtered reads but maybe is better if i use as an input my 2 FASTQ paired-end (/1 and /2) raw files (without any trimming or filtering).

Also the script that i'm using is this one:

$ bowtie -a --best --strata -t --al aligned.fq --un unaligned.fq Porifera_rRNA <nameofmyfile>

I'm completely new using Bowtie so i don't know if maybe for what i'm trying to do is better to use some other parameters.

I'm looking for a little bit of feedback, i'm the only person in my lab working with that kind of stuff.
    Anyone out there can help me?

Thanks.

Personally I like bowtie2 -- the parameters can be either individually tweaked or globally tweaked via '--fast-local', '--sensitive', etc.

Comment

I think your approach with bowtie1 is perfectly reasonable; first clean a little all the reads (low Q, adapters...) and then filter out rRNA reads with your Porifera_rRNA database. I'm not sure about using the parameter -a/--all (instructs bowtie to report all valid alignments) along with the --un option (write all reads that could not be aligned to a file). The --best option would be work fine for cleaning rRNA reads, don't think the --strata would be necessary; you will get another fastq/fasta file with the filtered reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM
      • seqadmin
        Multiomics Techniques Advancing Disease Research
        by seqadmin

New and advanced multiomics tools and technologies have opened new avenues of research and markedly enhanced various disciplines such as disease research and precision medicine1. The practice of merging diverse data from various ‘omes increasingly provides a more holistic understanding of biological systems. As Maddison Masaeli, Co-Founder and CEO at Deepcell, aptly noted, “You can't explain biology in its complex form with one modality.”

A major leap in the field has
        02-08-2024, 06:33 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 02-28-2024, 06:12 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 02-23-2024, 04:11 PM