• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq 'stabilazing' transformations usage

Hi,

I´m a little puzzled about the 'Di erential analysis of count data : the
    DESeq2 package' protocol

I was trying it with (only) two samples and got the DE results, then I tried the suggested transformations:

(being 'des' my previous results, just as it appears in the 'manual')

dseBlind <- dse
    design(dseBlind) <- formula(~ 1)
    dseBlind <- estimateDispersions(dseBlind)

rld <- rlogTransformation(dseBlind)
    vsd <- varianceStabilizingTransformation(dseBlind)

At this point I had assumed that the 'rld' and 'vsd' objects are like 'dse' but with the transformations, however when I try to retrieve the results I get:

> Prueba.rld.res <- results(rld)
    Error in tail(all.vars(design(object)), 1) :
    error in evaluating the argument 'x' in selecting a method for function 'tail': Error in (function (classes, fdef, mtable) :
    unable to find an inherited method for function ‘design’ for signature ‘"SummarizedExperiment"’

Am I missing something, should I instead use the 'rld' or 'vsd' objects with my DE analysis somehow???

many many thanks!!

Dear Daniel

the error message means that you are calling a method (results) on an object from a class (SummarizedExperiment) for which no such method is defined.

The class SummarizedExperiment stores matrices of data (here: the transformed counts), with rich metadata for the matrix columns and rows. The accessors of this class are described in the documentation of the GenomicRanges package, where the class is defined.

The class DESeqSummarizedExperiment is derived from that class, but contains additional data - the results from a differential expression analysis - which is accessed with the results method. See e.g. the man page of DESeq function in the DESeq2 package. However, since rlogTransformation and varianceStabilizingTransformation do not do any differential expression analysis, and just perform data transformations, they produce no "results".

Perhaps a good starting point would be to state what it is it that you actually want to achieve?

I hope this helps - the package documentation is always good place to check, no need to just rely on your assumptions

Best wishes
    Wolfgang
    Last edited by Wolfgang Huber; 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM.
    Wolfgang Huber
    EMBL

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
      by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
      05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
    • seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 07:03 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
    0 responses