Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dpryan
    replied
    you'll actually need to restart the console for the new PATH to take effect. Alternatively, just run:
    Code:
    export PATH=/Users/apple/downloads/samtools-0.1.19:$PATH
    and be things should work.

    Leave a comment:


  • rhinoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by selshamieh

    So what should I do next ?

    How to put it in the path??
    1. open terminal
    2. type cd
    3. type nano .bash_profile
    4. add what's below to the bottom of the document (except replace the path (/xxx/xxx/xxx/samtools) wherever you put samtools.. you can type pwd in samtools dir to see, or can first move the folder somewhere more convenient so you don't delete it accidentally or something, personally I've made a dir called Software to my home.. so this kinda stuff is always at /Users/MyName/Software/xxx):
    Code:
    export PATH=/Users/You/Software/samtools:${PATH}
    5. hold ctrl and push x -> select save with y
    6. type source .bash_profile

    It's now in your path. Depending on your preferences, the older samtools might override in preference this path, so maybe it would be a good idea to uninstall it via macports (don't ask me how since I never used macports).

    If all this is too difficult you can always just use samtools from your folder as you already did.. by ./samtools
    Last edited by rhinoceros; 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • maubp
    replied
    I would find out where the current samtools is, check with this:

    $ which samtools

    You could then replace the old version (safe it that was also installed by you from source), or use something like $HOME/bin and ensure that is early in your $PATH setting.

    Leave a comment:


  • rhinoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by selshamieh
    I have also downloaded the v 0.1.19 and then followed the steps that you have mentioned (unzip + make command in terminal), however when I type samtools in the terminal, I still find the version 0.1.18.

    May you help plz to solve this issue ?

    many thanks in advance !
    What happens when you type ./samtools in the folder where you compiled the program?

    I bet you didn't put it into your path, whereas the version you installed through macports is in your path..

    Leave a comment:


  • Mariel_Oyervides
    replied
    thank you

    Thank you... It's working now

    Leave a comment:


  • rhinoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by Mariel_Oyervides View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm having problems too with the Samtools installation in my Mac. I have downloaded Xcode, also home-brew and the command line tools are installed. I've tried moving the carpet to the desk and still nothing happens. This is the message I've got from the terminal when I try to install it, I don't know what to do next.

    MacBook-Pro-de-Marielownloads Mariel$ install samtools
    usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
    [-o owner] file1 file2
    install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
    [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
    install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

    Hope someone could help me
    After you have extracted the file you just cd into the folder and type make. This will build you samtools. After that you can use it by typing ./samtools in the folder. Alternatively you can move samtools somewhere in your path so you can call it from wherever..

    Leave a comment:


  • dpryan
    replied
    Did you already download the source code, extract it, and compile it? The install command mostly moves files around and sets their permissions.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mariel_Oyervides
    replied
    Install samtools

    Hi there!
    I'm having problems too with the Samtools installation in my Mac. I have downloaded Xcode, also home-brew and the command line tools are installed. I've tried moving the carpet to the desk and still nothing happens. This is the message I've got from the terminal when I try to install it, I don't know what to do next.

    MacBook-Pro-de-Marielownloads Mariel$ install samtools
    usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
    [-o owner] file1 file2
    install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]
    [-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory
    install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

    Hope someone could help me

    Leave a comment:


  • mastal
    replied
    How to install samtools on MAC OS X?

    Originally posted by Irshad View Post
    Hi Mastal,
    thank you for your answer.

    Giving the command line you mentioned results in the following

    tar: Option f requires an argument
    Usage:
    List: tar -tf <archive-filename>
    Extract: tar -xf <archive-filename>
    Create: tar -cf <archive-filename> [filenames...]
    Help: tar --help
    OK, so it seems that 'tar' is working.

    What happens if you type 'tar jtvf ./samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2'?

    Leave a comment:


  • rhinoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by Irshad View Post
    How can I address this problem or how do I know that the folder is not right one??
    ls -l

    Do you see samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2? If not, it's not the correct folder/directory. You have to either cd to the directory into which you downloaded samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2, or alternatively, provide full path of the file for tar (it doesn't just magically know where the file is, but always assumes current working directory..). You have a long way ahead of you

    Leave a comment:


  • Irshad
    replied
    Hi Mastal,
    thank you for your answer.

    Giving the command line you mentioned results in the following

    tar: Option f requires an argument
    Usage:
    List: tar -tf <archive-filename>
    Extract: tar -xf <archive-filename>
    Create: tar -cf <archive-filename> [filenames...]
    Help: tar --help

    Leave a comment:


  • Irshad
    replied
    How can I address this problem or how do I know that the folder is not right one??

    Leave a comment:


  • Irshad
    replied
    Hi Mastal,
    thank you for your answer.

    Giving the command line you mentioned results in the following

    tar: Option f requires an argument
    Usage:
    List: tar -tf <archive-filename>
    Extract: tar -xf <archive-filename>
    Create: tar -cf <archive-filename> [filenames...]
    Help: tar --help

    Leave a comment:


  • rhinoceros
    replied
    Originally posted by Irshad View Post
    Hi all,

    I get an error message when I extract samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2.

    comand line "tar jxvf samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2"

    gives me "failed to open samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2"

    can anyone help in this regard??

    Thank you very much!

    Irshad
    You're probably issuing the command in the wrong folder..

    Leave a comment:


  • mastal
    replied
    How to install samtools on MAC OS X?

    What happens if you just type 'tar' or 'tar jtvf ./samtools-0.1.19.tar.bz2'.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    09-28-2026, 10:25 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
0 responses
42 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
48 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
39 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...