No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrows-Wheeler Alignment Tool Make Error

Good morning,

I am having trouble with 'making' bwa. Below I posted my code and my error messages. Any help would be much appreciated.

My commands:
    #gets the newest version from sourceforge
    wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/bio-...r.bz2/download -O bwa.tar.bz2

#unpacks the tarball
    tar -xjf bwa.tar.bz2
    cd bwa-0.7.3a

#makes bwa
    make

My errors:
    jmwhitha@Linux-OptiPlex-755:~/bwa-0.7.3a$ make
    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD utils.c -o utils.o
    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD kstring.c -o kstring.o
    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD ksw.c -o ksw.o
    In file included from ksw.c:28:0:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.7/include/emmintrin.h:32:3: error: #error "SSE2 instruction set not enabled"
    ksw.c:44:2: error: unknown type name ‘__m128i’
    ksw.c: In function ‘ksw_qinit’:
    ksw.c:67:11: error: ‘__m128i’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    ksw.c:67:11: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
    ksw.c:67:19: error: expected expression before ‘)’ token
    ksw.c: In function ‘ksw_u8’:
    ksw.c:110:2: error: unknown type name ‘__m128i’
    ksw.c:126:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_set1_epi32’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:127:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_set1_epi8’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:133:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_store_si128’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:140:3: error: unknown type name ‘__m128i’
    ksw.c:141:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_load_si128’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:142:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_slli_si128’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:150:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_adds_epu8’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:151:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_subs_epu8’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:153:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_max_epu8’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:177:5: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_movemask_epi8’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:177:5: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_cmpeq_epi8’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:183:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_srli_si128’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:183:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_extract_epi16’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c: In function ‘ksw_i16’:
    ksw.c:227:2: error: unknown type name ‘__m128i’
    ksw.c:243:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_set1_epi16’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:255:3: error: unknown type name ‘__m128i’
    ksw.c:259:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_adds_epi16’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:261:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_max_epi16’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:265:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_subs_epu16’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    ksw.c:281:5: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘_mm_cmpgt_epi16’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    make: *** [ksw.o] Error 1

Thank you and God bless,
    Jason

The latest bwa requires SSE2. If you are working with an old machine, use 0.5.x.

Comment

That's very helpful! Thank you! Can you tell me where I can get the right package? Does SSE2 have a different name on sourceforge? Does it come in one of these libraries?
      libraries:

- libatlas-base-dev
      #- libatlas-dev
      - libblas-dev
      - liblapack-dev
      - libeigen3-dev
      - libc6-dev
      - libzip-dev
      - libbz2-dev
      - zlib1g-dev
      - libcurl4-openssl-dev
      - libgsl0-dev
      - libgsl0ldbl
      - gsl-bin
      - mime-support
      - libncurses5-dev
      - libpcre3-dev
      - libpng12-dev
      - libreadline-dev
      - libssl-dev
      - uuid
      - uuid-dev
      - libxml2
      - libxml2-dev
      - libxslt1-dev
      - libxslt1.1
      - xz-utils
      - liblzma-dev
      - zlib1g-dev

Thank you again and God bless,
      Jason

Comment

Run this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags

Should get output like this ....
        flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
        flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
        [ ... more output removed ]

Look for sse2.

If you have it , good. Otherwise use an older version of bwa.

gcc has the -msse2 flag; you might try it.

Comment

Thank you! Yes, I see the sse2 in my second set of flags. I also apt-get the gcc, but still when I execute make, I get the same error. What do you suggest?

Comment

This might work.

Try the -msse2 flag.

Append to CFLAGS line in "Makefile" ....
            like this ...

CFLAGS= -g -Wall -O2 -msse2

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Finney View Post
              This might work.

Try the -msse2 flag.

Append to CFLAGS line in "Makefile" ....
              like this ...

CFLAGS= -g -Wall -O2 -msse2
              I'm in the same boat as OP, but this did not work unfortunately :/

Comment

Some clown gave you either a bum gcc or butchered your include file system.
                SSE2's been around since 2001 and you DO have it.
                You could try downloading and making your own gcc but this is a hassle.

If you have a sysadmin, talk with him. Ask them to update gcc. If you are the sysadmin on your own system, re-install an upgraded gcc.

Comment

SSE2 is present on all x86_64, but not all i686 has that. Given that you can find the sse2 flag from /proc/cpuinfo, your system must have that. 4.7 is pretty new. I use 4.2.1. I guess this gcc is compiled without the SSE2 support. If so, you should compile gcc from source.

Comment

A whole new set of warnings came up when I changed the make file.

jmwhitha@Linux-OptiPlex-755:~/bwa-0.7.3a$ make
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD ksw.c -o ksw.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwt.c -o bwt.o
                    bwt.c: In function ‘bwt_restore_bwt’:
                    bwt.c:408:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c:409:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c:410:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c: In function ‘bwt_restore_sa’:
                    bwt.c:382:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c:384:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c:385:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c:386:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt.c:393:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bntseq.c -o bntseq.o
                    bntseq.c: In function ‘bns_restore_core’:
                    bntseq.c:98:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bntseq.c:106:10: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bntseq.c:114:10: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bntseq.c:123:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bntseq.c:129:10: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwa.c -o bwa.o
                    bwa.c: In function ‘bwa_idx_load’:
                    bwa.c:261:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwamem.c -o bwamem.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwamem_pair.c -o bwamem_pair.o
                    bwamem_pair.c: In function ‘mem_pestat’:
                    bwamem_pair.c:59:2: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects argument of type ‘long int’, but argument 4 has type ‘size_t’ [-Wformat]
                    bwamem_pair.c:59:2: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects argument of type ‘long int’, but argument 5 has type ‘size_t’ [-Wformat]
                    bwamem_pair.c:59:2: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects argument of type ‘long int’, but argument 6 has type ‘size_t’ [-Wformat]
                    bwamem_pair.c:59:2: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects argument of type ‘long int’, but argument 7 has type ‘size_t’ [-Wformat]
                    ar -csru libbwa.a utils.o kstring.o ksw.o bwt.o bntseq.o bwa.o bwamem.o bwamem_pair.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD QSufSort.c -o QSufSort.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwt_gen.c -o bwt_gen.o
                    bwt_gen.c: In function ‘BWTIncBuildRelativeRank’:
                    bwt_gen.c:873:10: warning: variable ‘oldInverseSa0RelativeRank’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
                    bwt_gen.c: In function ‘BWTIncMergeBwt’:
                    bwt_gen.c:947:15: warning: variable ‘bitsInWordMinusBitPerChar’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
                    bwt_gen.c: In function ‘BWTIncConstructFromPacked’:
                    bwt_gen.c:1452:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt_gen.c:1468:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwt_gen.c:1483:8: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwase.c -o bwase.o
                    bwase.c: In function ‘bwa_sai2sam_se_core’:
                    bwase.c:516:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwase.c:530:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwase.c:535:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwase.c: In function ‘bwa_refine_gapped’:
                    bwase.c:309:8: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwaseqio.c -o bwaseqio.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtgap.c -o bwtgap.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtaln.c -o bwtaln.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bamlite.c -o bamlite.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD is.c -o is.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtindex.c -o bwtindex.o
                    bwtindex.c: In function ‘bwt_pac2bwt’:
                    bwtindex.c:73:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwtindex.c: In function ‘bwa_seq_len’:
                    bwtindex.c:52:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwape.c -o bwape.o
                    bwape.c: In function ‘bwa_sai2sam_pe_core’:
                    bwape.c:642:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwape.c:645:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwape.c:653:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwape.c: In function ‘bwa_paired_sw’:
                    bwape.c:497:8: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwape.c: In function ‘bwa_cal_pac_pos_pe’:
                    bwape.c:278:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    bwape.c:282:9: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD kopen.c -o kopen.o
                    kopen.c: In function ‘kopen’:
                    kopen.c:265:8: warning: ignoring return value of ‘pipe’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    kopen.c: In function ‘http_open’:
                    kopen.c:93:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    kopen.c: In function ‘kftp_send_cmd’:
                    kopen.c:146:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD pemerge.c -o pemerge.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtsw2_core.c -o bwtsw2_core.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtsw2_main.c -o bwtsw2_main.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtsw2_aux.c -o bwtsw2_aux.o
                    bwtsw2_aux.c: In function ‘bsw2_aln’:
                    bwtsw2_aux.c:738:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwt_lite.c -o bwt_lite.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtsw2_chain.c -o bwtsw2_chain.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD fastmap.c -o fastmap.o
                    fastmap.c: In function ‘main_fastmap’:
                    fastmap.c:164:3: warning: format ‘%ld’ expects argument of type ‘long int’, but argument 3 has type ‘size_t’ [-Wformat]
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD bwtsw2_pair.c -o bwtsw2_pair.o
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD main.c -o main.o
                    gcc -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD QSufSort.o bwt_gen.o bwase.o bwaseqio.o bwtgap.o bwtaln.o bamlite.o is.o bwtindex.o bwape.o kopen.o pemerge.o bwtsw2_core.o bwtsw2_main.o bwtsw2_aux.o bwt_lite.o bwtsw2_chain.o fastmap.o bwtsw2_pair.o main.o -o bwa -L. -lbwa -lm -lz -lpthread
                    gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD example.c -o example.o
                    gcc -g -Wall -O2 -msse2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD example.o -o bwamem-lite -L. -lbwa -lm -lz -lpthread

Comment

You're good. I think. Those are just warnings, not errors.

Comment

I have SSE2 according to cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags, but I do not have msse2. I have i686 and when I execute apt-get install gcc, it says I have the newest version of gcc. When you says, "from the source", are you saying that I wget from ubuntu? What is the command?

Comment

Seriously, you're probably good. Ignore the warnings.
                          What happens when you run bwa ? Just type "./bwa".

Making gcc from source is major hassle and you're gcc is up to date.

Comment

Thank you very much Richard! The compiling seems to have worked.

There seems to be a new problem now though with the SAM file only containing header lines and no alignment lines. I am posting a new topic for this.

Comment

Here it is:
                              Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
                                by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
                                08-27-2024, 04:44 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Selecting and Optimizing mRNA Library Preparations
                                by seqadmin

Sequencing mRNA provides a snapshot of cellular activity, allowing researchers to study the dynamics of cellular processes, compare gene expression across different tissue types, and gain insights into the mechanisms of complex diseases. “mRNA’s central role in the dogma of molecular biology makes it a logical and relevant focus for transcriptomic studies,” stated Sebastian Aguilar Pierlé, Ph.D., Application Development Lead at Inorevia. “One of the major hurdles for...
                                08-07-2024, 12:11 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 08-27-2024, 04:40 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 08-22-2024, 05:00 AM
                              0 responses